Winter Olympics 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by ollysj, Jan 25, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Still can't get used to the idea of women ski jumpers.
    I thought she did this for a calendar...well before the actual Olympics. If she did this during the Olympics then absolutely there's no place for it. Mancuso is a bad example for a US athlete because she's shown up in some very risque photos.

I think this Olympics so far is embarrassing for the US. Nine medals of which 4 are from snowboarding and then another two from freestyle skiing. Snowboarding and freestyle skiing? I still can't believe they're Olympic events.

Congrats to Germany on totally dominating luge and not that it's a big deal, but the US claimed their 1st ever medal of any color for individual luge (Erin Hamlin). Geisenberger from Germany is a freaking machine.

LebaneseFF and ollysj like this.
  2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Thanks! Yeah, she's a league on her own. I like Kate Hansen, who was spotted dancing for her warm up and doing a little dance, while waiting in the leader box

markaz likes this.
  3. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

4. markaz

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...g-sochi-beyonce-luge-20140212,0,5131114.story

I just wish she'd follow it up with better runs.:cool: She is a free spirited California girl all the way, but the one thing I like about her over the majority of the athletes is that she's having fun and isn't bashful about it in the slightest.

ollysj likes this.
  5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

With 21, she's young and stil has time to improve

6. markaz

Olly - Is being taller better for a female participating in luge? I see that Geisenberger is 6 feet (1.83 m) and Hüfner is 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m). Just curious.

7. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Yes, it's important at the start. The longer your arms, the longer is the stroke you make to push the luge and the more speed you get.

Not that I'm an expert, but that's what they say on TV :D

8. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

The guy I am waiting to see is Ted Ligety

The guy has redefined Giant Slalom with his horizontal positions during the curves. I skied with him when I was part of the Swiss Junior Ski team, the guy is a genius and I have all the respect in the world for him.

9. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Torque, you create more torque with the longer arms.
    didn't came to my mind this morning

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

USA Men's hockey rolls in their first game. 7-1.

11. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

The spell is broken. Erik Lesser wins silver at the men's 20km biathlon :jumping:

13. markaz

Funny how things have changed. If Kate Hansen was doing all this 25 years ago (no Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc) she'd probably still be liked by teammates but even if she did get some exposure it would be so incredibly small. Attractive + quirky + social media = Millions of dollars. Ad agencies will be fighting to the death to get Hansen signed after the Olympics.

ollysj likes this.
  14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Kid is just having a good time...

15. markaz

That's the best part about her.

ollysj likes this.
  16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

You can't always win

Wait, luge relay (gold winner women individual + gold winner men individual + gold winner double men) just won the contest :D

17. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Temperatures around 60, guess these are the warmest winter games ever, Just saw an cross-country skiathlete, waering short sleves at the race

18. markaz

Missed that only that the biggest challenge for the x-country skiers was the condition of the snow. :dunno:

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Not only for the XC-skiers. All skiers have issues with the snow. This year, we have crazy conditions here in Europe. Not much snow and way to warm.....

20. markaz

Although I think it's somewhat exaggerated there's no question that 'global warming' is a reality. Maybe the Olympics will have a permanent venue in the Arctic Circle should it continue.:)