Vikings Eyeing Patriots QB Ryan Mallett Via Trade?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by 86WARD, Feb 16, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Minnesota Vikings have been looking for direction at quarterback but they've done nothing but get lost. From Christian Ponder to Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman and beyond, the Vikings haven't had direction at quarterback since Brett Favre gave them a miracle season in 2009. Since then, the Vikings have struggled to find a quarterback but they remain determined to find one. This has ESPN.com blogger Ben Goessling pointing out thaw fact that New England Patriots backup Ryan Mallet makes a lot of sense for the Vikings in an offseason trade.

Source: FanSided

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i'm sure teams are still considering mallett but what is he really worth? does anyone know what he is?

Aussie61 likes this.
  3. 86WARD

86WARD -

A better version of Matt Cassell? Lol...

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I've always hoped he would stick around and replace Brady. I'd be bummed if he got traded.

5. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Why not? See what Mallot has as a starter.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

he might be worth a shot if it was a low pick, like 5th or 6th round.

7. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

My first reaction to this is: WHY?
    Minny had a chance to draft him and didn't,so what's changed? 3 years behind Brady? so what! Matt Flynn spent time behind Aaron Rogers,had one good game,then everyone jumped on the bandwagon and said "he could start be a starter" How did that one work out? Cassel spent time behind Brady and look at him? People get caught up in this crap that if you are an average player,you somehow become a great player because you learn from a great player.You might become a better player,but rarely great.

8. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Difference is Mallett was a 2nd round draft pick and Cassel and Flynn were 7ths

9. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

2nd round pick? big deal! Like I said,Minny had their chance and didn't want him.Time to move on.
    I would much rather draft 2 young guys this year and start fresh.

10. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

@Aussie Let's play a game.

Mallet or Kirk Cousins? you have to pick one.

11. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

If that's the scenario,I will take Mallett because he would fit better with what Norv Turner does.

12. Jihad Joe

Thats because they fell in love with Ponder enough to take him 30 picks too early.

You comapred him to Flynn and Cassel, both of whom were very late round picks and and never had the talent to be starters. Mallett was a potential first rounder who fell out of one of the deepest first rounds in history

Really not much of a comparison

13. Jihad Joe

And the guys that didnt want him arent there anymore

14. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Yes they are! The only one who's not there is Frazier.Rick Spielman & Mark Wilf are still there.In 2011,when the Vikings made the Ponder pick,there was no GM as such.The draft decision making was on a consensus basis between Spielman ( Head of football personnel),Mark Wilf (Owner/President) & Frazier.Spielman was made GM after the 2011 season,and the 2012 draft was the first in which he had sole control.

15. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

The comparison is not one of where they were drafted,the comparison I'm making is that both Cassel & Flynn were hyped as being starting caliber QBs.Cassel was hyped simply because Bellichick drafted him,so he must be good.All I'm saying is,just because Bellichick drafted Mallet doesn't automatically mean he's any good.He dropped to the 3rd round for a reason.

16. Jihad Joe

Matt Hasselbeck was hyped as an elite signal caller

He dropped in the third because of character issues and the fact it was a ridiculously draft. If he was in last year's draft he is a first rounder

Your comparing him to guys whom together have half of his physical ability simply because of hype. Truth be to told if the Vikings want a QB that can give them a strong passing and get them deep into the playoffs next year, he is there guy. As it is they are going to have to look at a risky Derek Carr or an even riskier Mettenberger if they want to add a starting QB this offseason.