Vikings Desperate For QB, Could Have Their Choice Of Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles At No. 8?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by 86WARD, Mar 2, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Performances by non-quarterbacks in the recent NFL combine in Indianapolis might have improved the Vikings' chances of getting a QB -- Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles -- with their No. 8 pick in the first round. That's because defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, offensive tackle Greg Robinson, wideout Sammy Watkins and linebacker Khalil Mack all did exceedingly well at the combine. Considering that there are two more offensive tackles -- Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan -- worthy of being top-10 picks, it could be hard for teams picking ahead of the Vikings, even though several need a QB, to pass on better-rated overall talent. That could allow some QBs to fall to Minnesota, which remains desperate for one.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Nope, they will have to draft Carr if they want a first round QB. Mayyyyyybe Manziel will fall

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I don't see Manziel falling past 4.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I bet the Jets wished they would have waited to get their qb. Is there really a for sure franchise qb in this group? I don't think so.

LebaneseFF and Aussie61 like this.
  5. Jihad Joe

I still say Bridgewater is a legit #1. He wont wow you with anything, but he is very comparable to Brees

Bortles would have been had he gone somewhere else, he needs a little grooming but he has franchise talent

Manziel and Carr are very very talented but huge risks at the same time. Both IMO are more mid to late first round prospect s. Carr seems to be slipping a bit after a great Senior Bowl week

6. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I don't believe the Vikings have the slightest interest in Manziel,too much risk.If Bortles or Bridgewater fell then you probably take them although I'm not fully convinced about Teddy.People keep saying how he ran an NFL style offence,and that's great,but he really didn't do it against NFL caliber defensive talent on a week to week basis.
    What happens in FA will be huge for the Vikings QB situation.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  7. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I've always viewed Minnesota as a sleeper destination for Vick. They can then draft a 2nd or 3rd rounder to groom.

I honestly don't see Teddy, Johnny or Blake falling past the 5th spot. I also think Rams will trade out of the top 5. Maybe the Vikings should trade up to grab a QB.

8. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

No way I see them trading up,there are too many holes on defense to be giving away picks for a marginal QB when you can have one later (Garopollo,Mettenberger,Murray).Rick Spielmans job depends on finding a more permanent solution at QB, he got burned reaching for Ponder, so this time he has to be sure to get the right guy.Norv Turner is an asset Spielman didn't have last time so that helps.

9. LebaneseFF

Yeah like I said I view Minny as a dark horse to get Vick for a year or two whilst they groom another QB.

10. LebaneseFF

Maybe I should rephrase that.

I view Minny as a underDOG candidate to get Vick :thumbd:

Aussie61 and Buck Fenson like this.
  11. Buck Fenson

[​IMG]

12. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

That's a possibility.I think they go for Casell first,and then maybe Vick.Rumour has it that Houston might dump Schaub,so that would be another short term solution.

13. Buck Fenson

I think the writing is on the wall for Schaub being benched like he was last season. I mean, if he couldn't succeed with the running game and defense he had in Houston, he won't be able to do well in Minny. I know the defense took a hit towards the end but still.....

14. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Oh I'm not saying he would do well,just that all we have under contract is Ponder,and the FA QBs are all average.We need someone as a short term solution,and if Schaub gets cut the Vikes may be interested.Maybe a change of scenery and new OC will help?

15. Buck Fenson

could be. I just think the league figured him out. Now, I am not saying Ponder is any better but I think he would do better in the short run seeing as how he is more familiar with the players and stuff like that. I mean he did have Johnson and that rookie and a good running game. Not AD type runner but still very effective. And do you want the pick 6 magnet wanting to play there?

16. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

[​IMG]

Aussie61 likes this.
  17. Buck Fenson

did he throw one in like five straight games?

18. LebaneseFF

Josh McCown for a one year rental???

19. Jihad Joe

I dont think Romo threw one all year