Jimmy Graham To Immediately File Grievance If Tagged As TE

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by LebaneseFF, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

That's the whole point Wally.According to NFL stats,he was lined up as a receiver 63% of his snaps last year,so if you go strictly by the book he should win any grievance he files if the Saints tag him as a TE.
    However as we all know,if it goes to arbitration,you will get legal people involved and arguments back & forth.Someone might find a loophole for the Saints.
    The interesting point for me is that no team has been willing to test the water and actually go to arbitration to seek a ruling,so maybe the teams are being told by their legal gurus that it is unlikely you will win.Or maybe the right situation hasn't come up yet.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Graham was drafted a TE. He plays the TE position. He doesn't run WR routes even though he splits wide, he runs TE "routes." The opposite can't be said about any WR in the league...

Kurt likes this.
  3. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I understand all that and I don't disagree with it.Just saying that on face value the rule seems clear cut.It's where you line up,not where you were drafted,not what routes you run or how well you run them.No doubt if it goes to arbitration the arguments on both sides will be interesting and the whole league will be watching to see which way it goes.

4. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Naw man don't let the media fade you..

Under Article 9, Section 2 of the CBA, “[T]he tender will apply to the position in which the player participated in the most plays.”

He played the TE position %100 of his snaps, because that is his designation and no stats shows of those %63 percent snap how many he was a blocker in a run play OR running TE routes, if that makes sense. End of argument, next case.

Now if he was designated as TE, and played QB for %51 of the season, I could see a case. QB is a QB - not a TE.

If anything this becomes an issue of the TAG $ for TE.

No matter what, we're about to learn a lot about JG.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

so if you have a back up offensive lineman and all he does is play as a third tight end on certain plays, and his contract is up is he considered a tight end?

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Then he should get Top 5 slot receiver money then. Thats what he is when he lines up "wide"

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

That would be a non issue for the most part cause no one would tag a back up and no one would pay the back up that money.

8. Buck Fenson

quit pissing on my parade.

86WARD likes this.
  9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Sorry. Nevermind.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  10. Buck Fenson

I might be the only one who thinks JG needs to go into free agency.

11. Buck Fenson

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Id call that a piss-poor, sloppily concieved case, personally, but okay.

13. Buck Fenson

non exclusive tag so bring on the bids folks. Two first rounders coming up.

14. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I'd give up 2 first rounders for him. The Patriots usually trade back anyways. And we need a great tight end to be any good.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Jimmy Graham, Emmanuel Sanders...Patriots really wouldn't need a draft...they'd still be competitive...

16. Buck Fenson

Freak that crap. Don't want to be picking in the bottom of the draft. I want like St. Louis or the Vikes. Hell, even the Failclowns would be ok.

17. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Zero chance the Vikings are interested as Graham can't block,and on the Vikes offence everyone has to be able to block for AP.Zero chance on St Louis as they don't have cap space.1% chance on Falcons as they have the cap space but really need Defence.
    Most likely suitors would be Cleveland or Oakland.Teams that would think about it but probably not follow through would be Cincinnatti and Seattle.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Why not the Seahawks? Pick 32 this year...probably somewhere between 25 and 32 next year...

Why the freak not give up the two first rounders? Sure you're getting into big money versus a rookie deal, but they have the cap space for the talent and all you're really giving away is next years first round pick cause they aren't getting Jimmy Graham talent at 32 in 2014...

19. Buck Fenson

two low 1st round picks for JG. That would suck big time. But if that is what it takes then go for it. Still would like our old assistant coach to go for it in Oakland.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

They really don't, though. They have a ton of expiring contracts this year that will warrant raises if re-signed, as well as having to look ahead to Earl Thomas and Sherman coming up next year, and Wilson right after them, all three of whom are going obviously require a lot of money being thrown at them. They drop something in the 10mil a year range on Graham and that's going to cripple them.

Aussie61 likes this.