Philadelphia Eagles 2014 Draft Grades

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Greg Brosh, May 16, 2014.

1. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Going into the 2014 NFL Draft, Philadelphia Eagles fans were clamoring for a wide receiver in the wake of DeSean Jackson‘s release. The fact that Jackson had signed with the divisional rival Redskins left an even more bitter taste in their mouths. The Eagles got a player they needed in the first round, it just wasn’t the position the fans were hoping for. Below is a complete rundown of each pick the Eagles made in this year’s draft. As a fan myself, I can’t say I’m as disappointed as other fans. But things will be interesting once we start seeing what these rookies can do […]

Read the whole post here.

Kurt likes this.
  2. smeags

smeags militant geek

impossible to grade a draft this early IMO.

potential is there for another strong class but only time will tell.

one thing was confirmed by the 1st round pick, foles IS the franchise qb.

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I would have preferred a little more defense, but I can't say I hate what they tried to do. Fingers crossed.

4. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Jordan Matthews in the second give you a Colston 2.0

And you went D in the first - good stuff out of the Eagles.

5. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

Greg I wrote about the two Ducks. I will copy paste it. They are the only two I can really write about.

I can only tell you about 2 of the players drafted since I am a ducks fan.

Huff: Okay I've read too many reporters comparing the guy to DeSean. No he is not Desean, he doesn't have his speed but he is fast, what makes him fast is his separation. Huff started his days as a RB so it explains it a bit.. his biggest challenge with the ducks was dropped balls. Hopefully he has improved.

Hart: I don't understand this for several reasons. A) it was way too early for him to be off the board B) He is just a big frame, a huge frame. Chip will know how to use Hart, and I expect he will only use him on certain down situations. But god that pick was done way too early for the type of player he is. That's just my 2 cents.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

way too early ??? hart was a 5th round pick ... (141st) - players are a shot in the dark at that point for the most part. he adds depth to the d-line and can play both positions (DE/DT)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  7. Greg Brosh

Agreed 100%, but it's always good for sites to get on the bandwagon while the fans still have interest in seeing what others think of their team's draft.

Smith could be a bust and Watkins could be fantastic.

8. Greg Brosh

I don't know why the hell some fans thought the team was going to waste a first rounder on Manziel or Bridgewater. The thought never even crossed my mind. Receiver, yeah, but do some fans still think Foles is a joke?

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Not so much that they think he's a joke, but there are a bunch of fans who think that Chip really desires a scrambling QB. Most of them should be quiet now after this draft.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

greg seems to always take issue with fellow eagles fans even when there isn't one.

the fans didn't even really fuel the manziel talk, the media did and i never once heard anyone media or fan bring up bridgewater.

the only real debate was defense vs offense. to me they went the right direction, the only question that remains is was the right player picked.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Wasn't particularly happy with this draft until it was all done and got to take a look at the end result. Not many sexy picks, but doesn't mean they won't pan out. Addressed the needed pass rusher with Smith, Matthews gives us a nice player at WR. I know there were injury concerns with Louis Nix but to know he went three picks before Huff in the third round, we clearly need some NT depth, there weren't many good NTs in the draft, and I believe we traded the pick to Houston so they could get him, I wasn't particularly happy with that. Huff could turn out to be a nice player, of course. Watkins was good value, Hart is a big fella that Chip knows well but could just be an Oregon pick, Reynolds is meh, and Beau Allen was a solid pick in the 7th. Hoping we get some production like we did out of the 2013 class!