Legendary Steelers Head Coach Chuck Noll Dies

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Jun 13, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]

Charles Henry Noll, who lifted the Steelers from the depths of the National Football League and coached them to four-time Super Bowl champions by adhering to simple, long-held principles, died Friday in his home in Sewickley.

Noll, who had been under a doctor's care for an undisclosed illness, was 82.

His wife, Marianne, found him unresponsive at 9:45 p.m. and called 911. Paramedics pronounced him dead 10 minutes later.

In recent years, Noll suffered from severe back pain that limited his mobility and forced him to walk with two canes.

Noll served as Steelers head coach for 23 seasons from 1969-91, winning Super Bowls after the 1974, '75, '78 and '79 seasons and guiding what is considered one of the greatest sports dynasties ever.

His 209-156-1 record and record four Super Bowl titles earned him induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993, his first year of eligibility.

“Chuck Noll is the best thing to happen to the Rooneys since they got on the boat in Ireland,” said Art Rooney Jr., the oldest son of Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr.

Noll was known for choosing his words carefully. His oft-repeated remark, “Whatever it takes,” was short and succinct. It became the slogan for his coaching career.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6081467-74/noll-football-steelers#ixzz34aAevhTB

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Terrible, Terrible news. RIP Chuck. Thanks for everything.

Aussie61 likes this.
  3. 86WARD

86WARD -

4. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

RIP Chuck.A true legend.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Damn. RIP.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

This is a bummer...hope they do him right with the tribute.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]
    Pittsburgh Dad
    @Pittsburgh_Dad

No kids I don't got nothing in my eyes. Those are tears. Well them old Steelers Super Bowl tapes ain't gonna watch themselves. Get going.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

ANyone remember when he literally went after Jerry Glanville like he was going to kill him? lol.

9. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

RIP Chuck Noll

10. Badger

Badger Rookie

RIP, Mr Noll. As much as I hate the Steelers, you have to respect what that man accomplished.

11. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Heck of a coach. will be missed for sure.

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

He had a helluva life.

13. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

What was it I heard this morning? 4 SBs in 6 years? Amazing! RIP.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

And probably his best team didn't make the Super Bowl.

15. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Most lists of greatest NFL coaches of all time have Noll somewhere between #5 and #10. His knock was that he had all of his successes with one QB...Bradshaw. Don't know if many people remember when Noll took over the Steelers but they were the Jaguars or Browns of that era. The man built that dynasty one player at a time (starting with Joe Green) resulting in 4 SB's. And that he did it nurturing a young and brash Bradshaw into the assassin he became speaks volumes to his abilities. Living in KC during the Steelers domination I hated everything Black and Gold because the Steelers were everything the Chiefs weren't. Through it all I thought Noll was a mastermind and greatest NFL coach to ever walk the sidelines. 88-27 in a 8 year span including 4 SuperBowls. The crowning blow and proof that Noll had a sixth sense about people was the hiring of Bill Cowher from the Chiefs. Noll and the front office new what was needed when Noll hung 'em up. Best evaluator of players of coaches. Noll is No. 1 in my book.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Buck Fenson, 86WARD and Aussie61 like this.
  16. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I agree..Chuck should be #1

Buck Fenson likes this.
  17. 86WARD

86WARD -

The criticism that Noll wasn't that great and that he did it with "great players" always annoyed the duck out of me. He was part of the draft process. He was part of the evaluation. He was part of the player development. He was responsible for putting those players in positions to succeed.

He was the last head coach to win a Super Bowl with a roster of 100% "home grown" talent. Something that will probably never happen again.

Definitely up there with Lombardi and Halas.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Oh BTW - he benched Bradshaw when it was unheard of benching a starting QB b/c he thought Joe Gilliam had a better preseason until Bradshaw returned in Week 7 and led them to the Super Bowl.

19. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

he is top two for sure. in my eyes it is a very close race between him and Bill Walsh. Sure, he had great talent playing for him. But he, or his GM drafted those players. Takes talent to know talent and to coach the talent up to get the most of the player's potential.

20. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

4 SBs in 6 years is something you won't see anytime soon. If ever.