The Official Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by TJ, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It's ridiculous that England has the best league in the world and their national team sucks. You need to implement a foreigner limit per team or something. How many Englishmen play for Manchester City? For Chelsea?

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

That's a "problem" we have here all over Europe (well, at least in the richer countries). Due the UEFA-rules, there isn't much of a limit for foreign players in the teams.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I know, as long as you have an EU passport you can play for any team in Europe and not be considered "foreigner". Good for the spectacle, bad for the national teams...if there were english players in other leagues it would be fine, but it's not the case...

4. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

The problem is beyond that. Obviously there isn't a need to produce home players like there is in say Belgium but if the players we were producing were good enough they would play. Additionally, it's not like our youngster can't play in foreign leagues to get games, they just choose to pick up checks sitting on the bench for big clubs (Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair being two notables) or playing for crapty lower table teams playing garbage football rather than improving their craft on the continent like the majority of other nationalities do.

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

6. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I agree with you with the young players sitting on benches. Part of that though is the youth clubs which allows the clubs to sign them at extremely young ages. Jack Rodwell for example was signed AT AGE 7! Yeah 7.

Great they recognize talent, but they need to develop that talent more then they currently do. as you said sometimes that talent is rotting away on a bench somewhere for years.

The other big issue which I never understand. and will never understand.

The UK goes the olympics as the UK. But Britain, Whales, Scotland and N.Ireland go as independents to the world cup! WHY? I don't get it

7. andy82

It's not at all a big issue, as I'll briefly explain:

Early internationals could only easily be played within the British Isles, and with the prior divide of those nations it was a simple choice, leading to the set up today. Plus as a proud Englishman, a have a hell of a lot less identification with being British and it's the same for the vast majority in England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland (The latter would be a huge minefield with all the issues between Unionists and Nationalists there). This was to the point where the Scottish and Northern Irish FA's pulled out of the temporary GB team for the Olympics because of fears of a potential merger.

Literally no body wants a unified team, and if anything, there's far more chance of Team GB fracturing in the future than there either being a combined British football team.

ollysj likes this.
  8. smeags

smeags militant geek

go italy !!!!

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Some pictures need no caption.
    [​IMG]

ollysj likes this.
  10. smeags

smeags militant geek

bollocks !

11. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Tired of all of the flopping.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

finally !!! somebody has the guts to say it !!!

Steve12 likes this.
  13. smeags

smeags militant geek

well 1-0 costa rica at the 1/2.

italy has had enough chances but costa rica really runed it on towards the end of the half. brutal non-call on the knock down in the box.

14. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Costa Rica goes to the next round, England goes packing. Italy and Uruquay have to battle for the 2nd spot

15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Suddenly, falling to 4th place in the CONCACAF qualifiers doesn't look so bad after all...

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

costa rica has a nice squad but i dont recall them being expected to do much in their group.

hahahahahahaha england.

17. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Dark horse pretty much

Swiss should be done for today, trailing 0-3 at half.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

the french can go fornicate themselves.

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Even if the Swiss loss, they still can control their own destiny, with a draw vs Honduras (assuming France will smash Ecuador)

20. andy82

And once again, an American embarrasses themselves by displaying a lack of football knowledge. I'm sure a display of disappointment at losing a penalty shootout at Euro 2012 is what happened here. 7/10 for effort, 4/10 for execution.

Now beyond that idiocy, there are still plenty for this Englishmen to enjoy at this world cup: Some top notch games, great individual play, Argentina being knocked out, the US getting curb stomped the duck out by Olly's boys (which will happen, it is inevitable) and hopefully a World Cup final that will actually be entertaining for the first time in decades!

ollysj likes this.