The best to wear #8

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Walnuts, Jul 2, 2014.

?

The Best #8 In History?

1. Troy Aikman

46.7%
  2. Steve Young

53.3%
  1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

He won one more game. With a much better defense and running game behind him as well. Big woop.

Young had 6 seasons better than Aikman's best. We aren't even including Young's scrambling ability. He doged Aikman passing alone. This matchup isn't even close.

I think a lot of people are thinking Aikman was great because of the ass kissing John Madden would give him. Those of us who remember his whole career and saw him play our teams twice a year, remember otherwise.

10-11 against the Eagles.
    11-11 against the Giants.
    12-8 against the Redskins.

Only 33-30 in his own division. Dude's overrated as duck.

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I was going to say that I'd like to see a neutral opinion. Too bad there's no neutrality when it comes to the Cowboys. You either love them or hate them...

3. DawkinsINT

It's not Cowboys hate, just look at his numbers....very average for his era, and light years behind Young.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I really think that what Aikman did with the Cowboys goes beyond the numbers. I don't know how to explain it, you just had to sit and watch him 16+ times a year. Could the Cowboys have won three Super Bowls with Steve Walsh, Rodney Peete or Jason Garrett as starting QBs? I don't think so, really. Think Tom Brady early in his career. He never had spectacular numbers, but he was always there as the last one standing. Now Brady passes for 5000 yards and 50 TDs per season, but remember that that wasn't always the case.

5. DawkinsINT

I did used to watch him all the time. I knew he was overrated then. Tom Brady is a horrible comparison. Brady didn't have anywhere close to the supporting cast that Troy had. Brady was the main reason the Patriots would win. Aikman would just have to be a game manager for their running game and defense. He never carried the team.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I think I might be switching sides.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Do you honestly think they Cowboys would have been as successful as they were with Walsh, Peete, or Garrett as the starter?

8. DawkinsINT

No, but they wouldn't be awful with them either as their numbers showed during their SB years. But without question he's not in Steve Young's league.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Thats an awful hypothetical, really. Of course they would not have been as good with backup-level talent starting. Nobodys claiming Aikman was a Peete-comparable talent that the team magically lifted to elite levels. Would they have been as succsesful with, say, Jim Kelly at the helm...thats the kind of question you want to ask.

ICECOLD and TJ like this.
  10. DawkinsINT

Career TD to Turnover Ratio:

Aikman: 165 TD passes + 8 rushing TDs = 174 total TDs
    Aikman: 141 INTs + 22 fumbles lost = 163 total Turnovers
    +11

Young: 232 TD passes + 43 rushing TDs = 275 total TDs
    Young: 141 INTs + 23 fumbles lost = 130 total Turnovers
    +145

This isn't even close folks.

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

That may just be the best qb run in league history! they should have had him 5 times,but he just eluded and willed himself to stay on his feet!

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

steve young to me was way better than aikman and montanna.aikman won 3 sbs as did montanna,aikman was not the best qb the cowboys ever had,roger staubach was better than him.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Can't find the source where I read this but here's a quick summary...

Young - 1-3 Record in NFC Championship Games. Young - QB Rating goes from 96.8 to 86 (89 in Wild Card Games. 79 in Divisional and Championship Games.) Take away Young's 134 rating in the Chargers Super Bowl game and his playoff rating is an 82.

Aikman - 3-1 Record in NFC Championship Games. Aikman - piss poor WC rating, but rating goes from 81-90 in Divisional Games; to 100 in Championship Games (with no interceptions.) Rating jumps to 111 in Super Bowls where he's 3-0. Aikman was also most accurate passer in Super Bowl history with a career 70%.

In conclusion. Steve Young = Peyton Manning. Troy Aikman = Tom Brady and still greater than both of them?

[​IMG]

I don't think it's that easy to dismiss Aikman.

TJ likes this.
  14. 86WARD

86WARD -

BTW - I voted for Steve Young because I liked his style of play and his heart...but really if I was starting a team, it would be based on what style of offense I was going to run.

15. DawkinsINT

Why is it important to dismiss what Aikman's playoff numbers were in Wildcard games? Oh, I know why...because then you can't compare him to Brady. And he doesn't get separation from Young in the playoffs. Aikman gets a slight edge over Young in the playoffs.

In every other category....he gets dog slapped. Young would have dominated with that Cowboys team. Aikman wouldn't have been able to do the same with the 49er teams.

16. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Damn I would swear Steve young played for the eagles lol.

ICECOLD, Omen, 86WARD and 1 other person like this.
  17. DawkinsINT

Hahaha...Young is one of my favorite all-time players. Combine that with my always thinking (knowing) Aikman is overrated, and it's a perfect storm argument.

86WARD likes this.
  18. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

could have sworn Montana won 4 Super Bowls. and no way Young was better than Montana. 4 Super Bowls and 3 SB MVPs, 31 come from behind 4th quarter comebacks.

ICECOLD, Tarkus and Omen like this.
  19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Most of aikman's wild card games came late in his career. With those, he still gets plenty of separation from Young in the playoffs...

It's not easy to say Young would dominate with that Cowboys team because the offenses were totally different. Dallas was a downfield passing offense and Aikman's physical skills suit that offense better than Young.

By the way, those 49ers teams, at times/years were better than some of those Cowboys teams...let's not act like Young was running the offense on the Buccaneers...

TJ likes this.
  20. DawkinsINT

They came late in his career or after he lost his lost part of his great offensive line? He sucked in 96, after they won the SB in 95. 3 points in career playoff rating is not plenty of separation.

Young could throw the ball down field very well.

Career Yards/Attempt:
    Aikman: 7.0
    Young: 7.9

Career Yards/Completion:
    Aikman: 11.4
    Young: 12.4

Young didn't play with scrubs, but he didn't have the amount of future hall of famers on his offense that Aikman did. You are using just a handful of playoff games, instead of every single one and their entire regular season careers to make your determination.