The best to wear #8

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Walnuts, Jul 2, 2014.

?

The Best #8 In History?

1. Troy Aikman

46.7%
  2. Steve Young

53.3%
  1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Ward, any comment on these stats, or do they not matter because they don't reflect 5 or 6 games Aikman had in the playoffs?

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not using any of that to make my determination. I chose Young over Aikman (and after Maddox...of course.) I'm just saying it's not as easy to dismiss Aikman as you are making it.

I'm just using the same arguments people use to say Brady is better than Manning.

Of course those numbers are skewed...Aikman was pretty much in a run heavy, vertical offense. young was in a pass happy offense. There's the factor that Emmitt Smith ran for 73 TDs in a four year span...goes back to that Cowboys O-Line again...not only helping Aikman, but "hurting" him too...

You also can't discount the fact that Aikman played in a division whose defenses were far superior to that of the NFC West...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    TJ likes this.
  3. DawkinsINT

In the case versus Young, it's fairly easy to dismiss him.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Thats why I brought it over from PFT, had a feeling it would cause a decent spark 'round heah.

86WARD and Aussie61 like this.
  5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

yet,bill walsh traded montanna away late in his career and kept steve young.sorry,no matter what the stats,young was the better all around qb.

6. DawkinsINT

I see Young is running away with it there. The shocking thing to me about this board is that the vote is tied, and it's not Cowboys fans coming up with possible reasons as to how Aikman could possibly be better.

You aren't serious, I hope.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Still sends shivers down my spine.

ICECOLD and 86WARD like this.
  8. DawkinsINT

Meh...Aikman would have just fumbled the ball and then said, "I'll get you guys back during a stretch of the playoffs when my offensive line blows the doors off of defenses".

But seriously, it does show how despite Young having better passing numbers than Troy, that he had so much more to deliver with his legs in addition.

9. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

He almost fell before the goalline lol.

Can we all agree that both of them are terrible to watch on tv?

Jihad Joe likes this.
  10. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I like how stats matter in some players cases yet not in others.

TJ likes this.
  11. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Young.

Aikman wasnt the faciltor. He was at times and did very well when asked (Super Bowl 27 comes to mind) but the running game was the driving force on that team.

The passing game components were actually very similar. Both relied heavily on #1WRs, (Rice/Irvin) and very good TEs, and outside of Taylor and Harper, very marginal #2 WRs. Biggest difference is the 49ers made better use of there HBs in the passing game ( Smith and Johnston were good pass catchers, but mostly check down targets).

What makes Young better is the was more capable then Aikman was marching his team downfield on the strength of his arm.

Technicly speaking, Aikman had a much better, and the accuracy is way too call. Two of the more accurate QBs in NFL history. Young had a much better sense of timing, much better touch, and better vision in the pocket

12. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I hate you for putting that up !

ICECOLD and DawkinsINT like this.
  13. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I'm voting for Aikmen for no other reason than Wally put up that video and brought back nightmares :eek:

14. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Montana was coming off a bad elbow injury. when he was out, Young didn't really tear up the league. When Joe came back the locker room was split on who they wanted as qb. Montana was getting up there in age and Young was, well face it, he was Younger. But to answer the question, I think Young was a better overall qb than Troy.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

were you at the game wally?

16. DawkinsINT

What parallel are you trying to draw here?

17. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

@DawkinsINT Not really picking any player but many times I this board during a conversation about player x and player y the phrase " stats aren't the only thing" has been uttered.

TJ likes this.
  18. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Rex Grossman

TJ and Steve12 like this.
  19. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Saw both careers & I'd go Young. Saying that, if it was you get one or the other on your team, & I lost & was 'stuck' with Aikman, I'd learn to live with the pain quite easily.

20. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Ditto.