3 Takeaways From Saints' 31-24 Win Over Titans

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by spstromain, Aug 16, 2014.

1. spstromain

spstromain Starter

While the final score tells a tale that any New Orleans Saints fan would surely warm to, a quick look under a microscope shows why head coach Sean Payton was not in the least bit satisfied with his team after their 31-24 win over the Tennessee Titans. While there were, indeed, several positives to take away from the Saints’ preseason home opening win, the main negative came in the form of an absurd 22 penalties which left Payton steaming. Nevertheless, the Saints did make strides across the board as they now head into the all-important third preseason game next weekend in Indianapolis against the Colts, […]

Read the whole post here.

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Graham must not have gotten the memo that he's not supposed to dunk the football over the goal post after he scores a TD. During last night's game, he did it twice and got flagged for it twice.

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

he knew. he didn't care. he won't do it in the regular season but it was preseason. coach probably told him not to next game. what I took out of that game is that our second stringers are somewhat better than theirs but their first stringers held their own with ours. just another example of the Saints playing down to their competition.

4. ragman

Payton wasn't happy with him when he did it the second time.

5. spstromain

spstromain Starter

Got to shore up run D, improve kick coverage and get those penalties down. A healthy roster should aid that.

6. Buck Fenson

but the weakness of the 3-4 is run defense for the one less lineman. our linebackers are just not good enough in the run dept. and the special teams are horrible. but the special teams have been atrocious for a long time. I can see our ST coach being replaced if they don't make a drastic improvement. yes, we had a lot of penalties as did a lot of teams but most of ours were not of the illegal contact type. generally a horrible game but we came out with a win so that is encouraging.

7. spstromain

spstromain Starter

should see some improvement when jenkins is back out there and guys like hicks, galette, jordan are going 100%. you are right about ST, been a problem for a while.

8. ragman

22 penalties? Seriously? Preseason or no, that has to stop.

9. Buck Fenson

and it wasn't just the refs with their enforcement of the no contact rule. it was legit fouls. Coach was keeping it composed during his q&a session but it looked like he was about to pop a blood vessel.

10. ragman

Sure it wasn't Graham's two dunks? My local paper said Payton yelled at him from across the field when he did it the second time.

11. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Run defense is supposed to be the strength of the 3-4 but it requires 3 two gap DL. Thats the old NFL. Weakness of the 3-4 now is that is has become an attack scheme that will always struggle in 4 man rush

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

You can ease that finding guys like JJ Watt or Cam Jordan. But......

1: JJ Watts and Cam Jordans dont grow on trees

2: Guys like that arent 1 gap players. They are penetrators, not guys who will control 2 lineman at the LOS

13. Buck Fenson

if you have the linebackers to come up yes, the 3-4 is supposed to be great at run stoppage. maybe it is just a case of a bad game all the way around. we will see next game against the Colts. Our front line is pretty good at getting after the qb. I don't think we did enough to shore up our linebackers which I think is our main weakness. after the lack of depth at O line. And corner, can't forget about that.

14. Buck Fenson

absolutely sure it wasn't that. he didn't mention Jimmy but specifically mentioned the 24 accepted penalties. there were more but some was not accepted.

15. spstromain

spstromain Starter

tyrunn walker is a pretty good 1 gap guy, again i think we see improvement when these guys are locked in during the season. really would like to see the younger DBs make more progress. sunseri and pierre warren have been surprises. vaccaro = stud

16. ragman

While I was watching the Cowboys-Ravens game this past Saturday night, one of the commentators doing the game said that be believed the refs would call more defensive illegal contact penalties this season.

17. Buck Fenson

too bad that Sunseri and Warren are playing a position that we have the market cornered at. Kenny V is a straight up beast. I see defensive line and safety as our strongest positions.

18. spstromain

spstromain Starter

seems like it rag. not good news for the younger DBs like SJB, just need work on their technique and experience

19. Buck Fenson

if they are going to call illegal contact, then call it all the time all year. don't make us or the teams guess when you will call it or not.