Jerry: It Will Be 'Challenge' To Keep Dez And Murray

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by markaz, Jan 16, 2015.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

After setting multiple single-season franchise records in 2014, All-Pro running back DeMarco Murray's Dallas Cowboys' future is up in the air. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported earlier this week that the Cowboy shave had an offer on the table worth just over $4 million annually. To the surprise of no one with knowledge of the going rate for All-Pro workhorses, Murray's camp has bridled at the low-ball offer. Owner Jerry Jones conceded Thursday that it will be a "challenge" to bring back Murray and fellow impending free agent Dez Bryant this offseason.

"Is it ... financially reasonable? No. Is it possible? Yes," Jones said. "But if you just look at it from the standpoint of dollars and cents it probably doesn't look reasonable. But then you got to factor in how you get there. But at the end of the day you do realize it's going to be costly to have both those players." Jones has already made it clear that Bryant is the top priority, with the franchise tag as an option if necessary. A swashbuckler of Jones' nature is ready to embrace "the art of the deal" by attempting to sign both. He'll need to increase his offer by a considerable amount to keep Murray in the fold.

NFL.com

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Give Dez whatever he wants and let Murray walk. He won't have a 1800 yard season agaian.

Omen likes this.
  3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Yep, I wouldn't pay Murray a ton. Dude can't stay on the field typically.

Omen likes this.
  4. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Murray is an above average RB. Dez is an elite WR. It's easier to find an above average RB than it is to find an elite WR.

To franchise Murray would cost $11 million. The Cowboys are not going to do that.

I bet Murray winds up at Indy. They have a lot of cap room and they need a RB.

Omen likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

This. Before 2014 he had not been able to play all 16 games in a season. And there's a precedent of RBs having monster years, signing monster extensions, and becoming shells of their former selves. I'm looking at you, Marion Barber...

ragman and Omen like this.
  6. ragman

Don't forget Julius Jones. Didn't the Cowboys give him a lot of money too?

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I honestly don't remember...I thought Julius was let go because Barber was better and got the extension...I'll have to look it up.

And there are other examples all accross the league. Chris Johnson is the first who comes to mind. There's a reason RBs don't get picked in the 1st round anymore. DeMarco was picked in the 3rd round. We can find a new RB there.

8. ragman

IMO, 2nd round would be better.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

this is nothing more than posturing at this point.

10. ragman

I don't think so. There's no way they don't keep Dez. Murray is another matter.

11. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

No disrespect to Murray and his great year, but one has to wonder what any other RB would have done behind that offensive line. Bryant's irreplaceable, Murray not so much.

Omen likes this.
  12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

jerry is gonna try and pry AP away from the vikings when he is reinstated in april,so they'll let murray walk.

Omen likes this.
  13. smeags

smeags militant geek

jerry is trying leverage the cowboys position. murray will probably go elsewhere for more coin and up not doing a damn thing while the boys sign ray rice.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Fixed

Omen likes this.
  15. smeags

smeags militant geek

i gotcha

child abuser > woman beater

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Still better than a dog killer...at least according to your justice system :D

Omen likes this.
  17. ragman

Indy.

18. CaptainStubing

I say dog killer is more likable than child abuser and wife beater. Especially because in this case, at least he did his time.

Humans are more important than animals. But in our f--ked up country, many people think the opposite.

19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Can he carry a ball and score TDs then I give a f--k.

Please child abuser. Hell my pops woulda been labels a child abuser by today's whiny wussy ass standards.

TJ likes this.
  20. CaptainStubing

Agreed. I'm 44 and my dad used to beat my ass with a belt when I messed up. And for good reason.