Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Posted Here

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Kurt, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Here's a link to the main piece I drew up on our blog.

Here's Mel's picks.. which are really nothing more than a list of the top prospects.

Then again, Mel had Manziel going #1 last year in his first mock.. as we discussed in this thread in 2014.

As always I can't help but try and feed my mouth so here's a referral link for espn insider with $20 dollar in savings.

1 Jameis Winston Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-14) COLLEGE: Florida State Class: Soph HT: 6-4 WT: 235 POS: QB
    Analysis: The bottom line is Winston is the most advanced on-field quarterback in the draft, and while the Buccaneers have a nice set of weapons for an emerging quarterback to utilize there's little evidence they have a future franchise quarterback on the current roster.

2 Marcus Mariota Tennessee Titans (2-14) COLLEGE: Oregon Class: Jr HT: 6-4 WT: 211 POS: QB
    Analysis: The Titans have said all the right things about Zach Mettenberger, but based on what we saw from him in 2014, there are considerable questions about his NFL ceiling. Offensive fit and the ability to adapt are big questions around Mariota, but he's an elite talent and has the chance to be special if a team is patient with him.

3 Leonard Williams Jacksonville Jaguars (3-13) COLLEGE: USC Class: Jr HT: 6-5 WT: 290 POS: DE
    Analysis: If you drop need and go on "best player available" -- something I believe really does happen more and more, given the unpredictable nature of the quarterback position in particular -- Williams is a contender to go No. 1 overall.

4 Amari Cooper Oakland Raiders (3-13) COLLEGE: Alabama Class: Jr HT: 6-1 WT: 205 POS: WR
    Analysis: I can see the Raiders also targeting one of the next two picks here, as they could really use another pass-rusher to take some of the pressure off Khalil Mack, who was exceptional as a rookie but is actually a better run defender than pass-rusher at this point.

5 Randy Gregory Washington Redskins (4-12) COLLEGE: Nebraska Class: Jr HT: 6-6 WT: 245 POS: DE
    Analysis: Gregory is the type of pass-rushing talent that can transcend systems. Long, athletic and highly explosive coming off the edge, he's a little undersized as a classic 4-3 defensive end and could play in space a little better as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

6 Shane Ray New York Jets (4-12) COLLEGE: Missouri Class: Jr HT: 6-2 WT: 240 POS: DE
    Analysis: The Jets could go in another direction in terms of defensive system now that former coach Rex Ryan isn't running point on that side of the ball, but they need to add a pure pass-rusher to go with the significant talent they have elsewhere along the defensive line regardless of system.

7 Landon Collins Chicago Bears (5-11) COLLEGE: Alabama Class: Jr HT: 6-0 WT: 212 POS: S
    Analysis: Safety play has been, without exaggerating, a borderline disaster for the Bears, extending beyond this season. Collins does a lot of his best work near the line of scrimmage, but he can certainly be effective playing off the line as a guy who anticipates well, makes good reads and takes proper angles.

8 Dante Fowler Jr.Atlanta Falcons (6-10) COLLEGE: Florida Class: Jr HT: 6-2 WT: 271 POS: DE
    Analysis: A known commodity since he arrived on campus, Fowler actually frustrated me some coming into the year because the talent looked better than the production. But he really put it together this season and made more plays, finishing with 15 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks.

9 Brandon Scherff New York Giants (6-10) COLLEGE: Iowa Class: Sr HT: 6-4 WT: 320 POS: OT
    Analysis: While he's a left tackle at Iowa, I think Scherff could start his NFL career at right tackle and, if he were to deal with growing pains there, could end up at guard. If you then question a draft slot this high, getting a guy who can be solid at right tackle right away and potentially dominant at guard isn't too shabby.

10 T J Clemmings St. Louis Rams (6-10) COLLEGE: Pittsburgh Class: Sr HT: 6-4 WT: 313 POS: OT
    Analysis: The Rams made more strides on defense this year after adding Aaron Donald as a clear "best player available" pick in the 2014 NFL draft, and the defense benefited greatly. But while their No. 2 overall pick, Greg Robinson, goes into 2015 as the starter at left tackle after looking better there for the most part over the last five weeks this season, the O-line still graded out poorly for me overall, and the Rams need to bring in more talent.

11 Devante Parker Minnesota Vikings (7-9) COLLEGE: Louisville Class: Sr HT: 6-2 WT: 207 POS: WR
    Analysis: Teddy Bridgewater showed he can be the long-term answer at quarterback if his development continues, and while there are also questions along the offensive line, Parker is a tantalizing talent at this point, as I think some teams will have him graded as the best receiver in this draft class once they've wrapped up evaluations.

12 Danny Shelton Cleveland Browns (7-9) COLLEGE: Washington Class: Sr HT: 6-1 WT: 332 POS: DT
    Analysis: In Mike Pettine's system, you really can use powerful bodies up front who can hold blocks but also create some movement and occasionally penetrate, and the massive Shelton is a nice fit for a team that struggled to consistently stop the run.

13 Vic Beasley New Orleans Saints (7-9) COLLEGE: Clemson Class: Sr HT: 6-2 WT: 220 POS: DE
    Analysis: A year after they made great strides on defense, the Saints took a major step backward in 2014, and a big part of that was a lack of productivity in the pass rush. They simply weren't as disruptive. Beasley is going to come in ready to play.

14 Shaq Thompson Miami Dolphins (8-8) COLLEGE: Washington Class: Jr HT: 6-2 WT: 224 POS: OLB
    Analysis: The great thing about Thompson is he's not just a freak in the athletic sense. He's also a freak in his football instincts. This is a kid who has played safety, linebacker and in 2014 was every bit a future NFL running back when the Huskies asked him to help out there for a few games.

15 Kevin White San Francisco 49ers (8-8) COLLEGE: West Virginia Class: Sr HT: 6-2 WT: 211 POS: WR
    Analysis: The question marks at wide receiver persist for the 49ers, and Michael Crabtree could be signed somewhere else by the time the draft arrives. If the 49ers want to further aid Colin Kaepernick's development, they need to find another target, ideally a matchup threat and a guy who can win at the catch point and outmuscle defenders for contested catches.

16 Trae Waynes Houston Texans (9-7) COLLEGE: Michigan State Class: Jr HT: 6-1 WT: 182 POS: CB
    Analysis: The Texans did a relatively good job defending the pass this year, but that started up front. They benefit so much from what J.J. Watt does to opposing QBs that it conceals the fact they could use help at cornerback.

17 Arik Armstead San Diego Chargers (9-7) COLLEGE: Oregon Class: Jr HT: 6-7 WT: 285 POS: DE
    Analysis: While he's listed at defensive end, the long and strong Armstead is probably better described as "freakish defensive lineman." He has impressive quickness for a player who stands about 6-foot-8 and carries a lean 290 pounds, and the power is obvious, too, because when he plays with leverage and gets under the pads of blockers, he can simply take them backward.

18 Dorial Green-Beckham Kansas City Chiefs (9-7) COLLEGE: Oklahoma Class: Jr HT: 6-4 WT: 225 POS: WR
    Analysis: We all know about the Chiefs' singular lack of ability to generate touchdowns from their wide receivers, and that makes Green-Beckham a potential risk worth taking. The physical book on Green-Beckham is a good read: He's got great length and can take the top off the secondary as a straight-line runner but also creates an impressive amount of space with quickness on short routes.

19 Ereck Flowers Cleveland Browns (7-9) COLLEGE: Miami (FL) Class: Jr HT: 6-6 WT: 325 POS: OT
    Analysis: I can obviously see the Browns looking at a pass-catcher here given the issues they faced in 2014, when Josh Gordon was off the field (and when he was on it, for that matter), but I also think they know that if they can build a dominant offensive line and make Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell arguably the league's best two-headed running back attack, they'll be able to help stabilize the passing game and allow any QB to succeed.

20 Marcus Peters Philadelphia Eagles (10-6) COLLEGE: Washington Class: Jr HT: 5-11 WT: 193 POS: CB
    Analysis: I wouldn't say the Eagles were a total mess at cornerback last season, but Brandon Boykin was arguably the best performer for them, though that was in a little more than 500 snaps. They really need to add talent at the position, and, in that regard, Peters is arguably the best cornerback in the entire draft.

21 Bud Dupree Cincinnati Bengals (10-5-1) COLLEGE: Kentucky Class: Sr HT: 6-3 WT: 268 POS: OLB
    Analysis: The Bengals had only the appearance of a rotation at defensive end in 2014 because while Carlos Dunlap is an effective player, the same can't be said for Wallace Gilberry (up and down) and Robert Geathers (safely below average), and they could really use more explosiveness in the pass rush.

22 Kevin Johnson Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5) COLLEGE: Wake Forest Class: Sr HT: 6-0 WT: 175 POS: CB
    Analysis: The Steelers are long in the tooth at cornerback and need a player who can help early at that position (not an easy ask) but will get that kind of player if Johnson is still on the board here. Johnson has outstanding instincts and always seems to have a good idea of where the ball is going.

23 Malcom Brown Detroit Lions (11-5) COLLEGE: Texas Class: Sr HT: 6-3 WT: 317 POS: DT
    Analysis: Yes, there is some speculation that Detroit could franchise Ndamukong Suh or find a way to bring him back in free agency, but given other salary commitments, we know that's going to be tough. Fortunately for them, the defense around Suh improved in 2014 under the direction of Teryl Austin, and there exists the opportunity to find help at defensive tackle in the draft.

24 Melvin Gordon Arizona Cardinals (11-5) COLLEGE: Wisconsin Class: Jr HT: 6-0 WT: 207 POS: RB
    Analysis: There have been exactly zero running backs selected in the first round over the past two drafts, but Gordon is certainly worthy of breaking that streak. The Cardinals front office has done a great job piecing together this roster, as evidenced by the fact that they were as competitive as they were given the health problems at quarterback, and while Gordon might sound like a luxury pick, he's really not if you consider how much explosiveness was lost when Andre Ellington got hurt.

25 Andrus Peat Carolina Panthers (7-8-1) COLLEGE: Stanford Class: Jr HT: 6-6 WT: 315 POS: OT
    Analysis: It's not really overstating it to say the Panthers' pass protection was absolute garbage in 2014. And if you assume they will make a commitment to Cam Newton this offseason, they'll need to find a way not to take his durability for granted in constructing the offensive line, because even Newton can't hold up forever with this kind of blocking.

26 Devin Funchess Baltimore Ravens (10-6) COLLEGE: Michigan Class: Jr HT: 6-4 WT: 235 POS: WR
    Analysis: It's not really fair to call Funchess a tight end based on where he typically lines up, but at more than 6-foot-4 and at about 235 pounds with the ability to simply overpower most cornerbacks, he's not exactly a flanker, either.

27 Jordan Phillips Dallas Cowboys (12-4) COLLEGE: Oklahoma Class: Soph HT: 6-5 WT: 334 POS: DT
    Analysis: The Dallas defensive line held up reasonably well this season with merely OK talent, but a lot of that had to do with how much the efficient offense was able to keep it off the field and fresh. The unit isn't going to simply get better unless it adds more talent.

28 Benardrick McKinney Denver Broncos (12-4) COLLEGE: Mississippi State Class: Jr HT: 6-4 WT: 243 POS: ILB
    Analysis: I thought Denver was pretty thin at linebacker coming into the 2014 season, and while Jack Del Rio did a pretty good job with the unit, a versatile, experienced linebacker such as McKinney could be an immediate help to a team I'd still categorize in as operating in "win-now" mode.

29 Jaelen Strong Indianapolis Colts (11-5) COLLEGE: Arizona State Class: Jr HT: 6-3 WT: 212 POS: WR
    Analysis: The Colts have some good young targets in the passing game with T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief as well as the emerging Coby Fleener, but those players have also had consistency issues, and in the case of the receivers, neither can dominate with size alone. Reggie Wayne's future is uncertain, and Hakeem Nicks was more flash than regular substance this season.

30 Eddie Goldman Green Bay Packers (12-4) COLLEGE: Florida State Class: Jr HT: 6-3 WT: 315 POS: DT
    Analysis: While I think Goldman's potential still outpaces the tape, he has plenty of it and could be a versatile help for the defensive line on a team that has struggled defending the run in particular.

31 Sammie Coates New England Patriots (12-4) COLLEGE: Auburn Class: Jr HT: 6-2 WT: 200 POS: WR
    Analysis: Arguably the best athlete in all of college football, Coates isn't huge at 6-foot-1 and a little more 200 pounds, but he's a guy who can run in the 4.3 range in the 40, is exceptionally strong for his size (it shows on contested catches) and is a player who can create big plays out of very little. He averaged more than 21 yards per catch in 2014 and is the kind of player whom safeties have to be wary of.

32 Devin Smith Seattle Seahawks (12-4) COLLEGE: Ohio State Class: Sr HT: 6-0 WT: 199 POS: WR
    Analysis: I was between two players here -- Smith and cornerback Jalen Collins of LSU. The injury to Seahawks receiver Paul Richardson has me leaning toward Smith, a good size/speed combination at wide receiver and one of the better deep threats in college football, a guy fully capable of making contested catches down the field (as anybody who saw him against either Alabama or Oregon can attest to).

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Steelers desperately need a CB who can come in and be an instant impact guy...which means they'll draft a LB or DE.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

id love for the eagles to stay away from selling the farm to get mariota and go get a DB but i just dont see it.

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

RB for the Cards? Murray, McCoy or Bell couldn't gain 1,000 yards with this run blocking line. Got so much better with Veldheer at OT at protecting the QB, but the interior line has to be No. 1 priority. If not a G or C, then a decent pass rusher would be nice if there's any available at No. 24.
    The one pick Mel's got that would be a great No.1 for Indy is Jaelen Strong. That kid is the real deal, better than Cooper IMO.
    Even Kelly has to see that the Eagles secondary is the team's weak link. They're just bad and need to fix it. The package they'd have to put together to get Mariotta would have to be staggering. The only good thing about Kelly getting Marriota is it would keep him away from Tennessee and Ken Whisenhunt. Whiz destroys QB careers. I'd be shocked if Foles wasn't behind center in week one.
    Fixed

86WARD likes this.
  5. smeags

smeags militant geek

tough to get into the draft discussions before FA.

86WARD likes this.
  6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

True.

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I question his pick for the Saints. I hope that was a typo about his weight. 220 is a bit light for a defensive end. We need more help at corner than end.

8. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Dallas wont draft a 1 Technique in the first because Marinelli doesnt value the position in that. One of those positions you can get starters in the mid rounds. Thats why we passed on Sharif Floyd, who was ranked 4th overall on our board two years ago

9. Jihad Joe

3-4 OLB. Beasley is a beast

10. Jihad Joe

Terrible CB class. Any CB in the top 15 would be a reach

11. Buck Fenson

even though the team said they were going to a 3-4 defense, Ryans' scheme works better with a 4 man front. I want to see what happens to Junior before getting another DE. What about Marcus Peters? They messed up when they picked SJB last draft that high. Dude barely played and our corners SUCKED all season.That tells me a lot there. Also there is talk about PJ Williams. While FSU corners kinda scare me now after the PRoblem with our other corner, he seems decent. Great in press. I think the down year this year from the pass rush was just reading their own headlines and it will improve next year. Corner is def a need. We pick at 13 and should get an impact player at that pick. Not saying either of those players would be certain impacts I just hate getting a second tier corner when you can get a stud and bring him along correctly.

12. Jihad Joe

Peters is probably the best CB in the draft and he is shirt head that got booted off his team. He is a 2nd/3rd rounder. He would have been a late first if he wasnt a shirthead. Def not worth the 13th pick. PJ Williams is a 2nd rounder IMO. Waynes will probably be the first CB off the board, and he isnt a top 20 guy.

Beasely would be an excellent pick. Very versitile. Perfect 3-4 weakside rusher. In a 4-3 he is a good Leo. 2 down LB who plays RDE on passing downs ala Von Miller

13. Buck Fenson

phuck. we were crappy enough to get a top 15 pick and there are not any corners worth the pick. Beasely would be a good pick. I went to check out some tape on him. only thing is it is only good plays. wonder if his game will translate to the NFL.

14. Kurt

15. Buck Fenson

move Armstead inside to guard? only if the tackle is a can't miss 15 year mainstay. still wish there was a corner worthy of the 13th pick. maybe trade down and pick one up. we need a day one starter corner to play opposite Keenan Lewis. If we cover better I believe it will help our pass rush. but the opposite can be said also.

16. Kurt

If the Saints take another DB in the first round I'll Freaking EXPLODE.

[​IMG]

ICECOLD likes this.
  17. Buck Fenson

Usually there is a drop off between the top tier dbs and the next group. I f--king want a stud corner.

18. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

White's not falling to 15 now lol