Patriots Prevention Of Fumbles Nearly Impossible

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by 86WARD, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yesterday I investigated whether or not the New England Patriots outperform expectations in bad weather. I had several recommendations to look at home and road data, as opposed to just home data. Mulling whether or not to undertake that further (time consuming) analysis, I watched this video:

I immediately noticed something that cannot be overlooked: the issue with ball security and fumbles. Then I remembered this remarkable fact:

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home! The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Source: http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

ICECOLD likes this.
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Very interesting article on New England and their "lack of fumbling."

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

it should be easier to hold on to a deflated football right?

Omen likes this.
  4. 86WARD

86WARD -

According to the video, it's substantially easier to hold and throw.

5. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

This is just beginning. Get your popcorn ready.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

As @DawkinsINT said in another thread, this thing is and will be so heavily scrutinized when it's really nothing more egregious than the use of stick 'em. Media has their quota of story lines to fill for Super Bowl week and now its fumbles. Matt Leinart comes out and says ALL QB's doctor the ball. Brad Johnson says he paid some ball boy to scruff the ball up, but did nothing illegal...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. As I read in an article in PFT, this topic of ball pressure, scuffing up balls, etc is something the NFL has known about but it's just overlooked because everybody and their mother does it. This story is kind of like gonorrhea, the gift that just keeps on giving.

Diesel44 likes this.
  7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I can't wait to see how the nfl handles this.are they gonna check every football on both sides before they go back into play or are they gonna start making footballs with a gage on the side to tell how much psi is in each ball?maybe designate a special place with a camera that keeps a constant eye on the game balls during the game? the odds on not losing a fumble at home for one season have to amazingly high to say the least.

8. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

sounds like the bountygate remarks after it happened. Let's see if Roger the Dodger holds true and pay no attention to what players say, like with the bountygate shirt sandwich, or will he use this to allow the furor to go away.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

But it kind of is a big deal if it helps Brady grip the ball better and throw the ball farther. If it helped The RBs hold onto the ball and prevented fumbles essentially giving the Patriots a turnover advantage going into every game. It's an unfair advantage.

Omen, ICECOLD and Diesel44 like this.
  10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

it does give them an advantage.i am curious as to what the league will do if anything,however i wonder what they are gonna do to police the weight of the balls during game play.
    to me,this is a way bigger issue than bountygate ever was.

11. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I would guess that from here on out the nfl will be in charge of game balls for both teams in all games.

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I was thinking along the same lines. There should no longer be balls for just each team. Just a group of balls that are used for both teams. No separation.

13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

wonder why they have not been in charge of it before now?i love the league,but they have a lot of stupid policies.fining somebody for what they wear or what it looks like is stupid to me.

14. DawkinsINT

Walnuts likes this.
  15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i have no pc sound,but it looks"eloquent".lol

DawkinsINT likes this.
  16. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I see why. I don't see any USB ports or audio jacks on your computer.
    [​IMG]

Tarkus, Omen, DawkinsINT and 3 others like this.
  17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yes...ball boys will probably be extinct...

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I was just reminiscing about rap of that era with an old compatriot. Its Foghat to today's kids.

markaz, DawkinsINT and Omen like this.
  19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

the league should keep a closer eye on the pats.obviously they bend the rules and take every advantage to win.from the psi in the footballs to that unusual formation they used against the ravens,it is only cheating if you get caught is'nt it?

20. DawkinsINT

markaz likes this.