RIP:Chuck "Concrete Charlie" Bednarik

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Diesel44, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Right up there with Reggie White as the greatest eagle ever in my book.died last night at the age of 89.He hit frank gifford so hard he put him out of football almost two years.Also a highly decorated veteran of ww2.I never saw him play,but i saw a lot of film on him through the years.played both ways.did not earn the nickname concrete charlie by being sweet.even got into a fistfight on the field with chuck noll when they were both players. RIP Concrete Charlie. you have earned it.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...the-bednarik-award--dead-at-89-151946296.html
    [​IMG]

markaz and DawkinsINT like this.
  2. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

you know the guy was tough when he lived with fingers like these.
    [​IMG]

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Sad day. He was a total legend. I can't tell you how many Concrete Charlie stories I was told growing up. He needs a statue outside the Linc.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

That hit on gifford was the best hit i have ever seen.

5. DawkinsINT

He got the nickname because during the offseason he worked at a concrete company. It ended up being a perfect nickname for his style of play though.

On a side note that many don't know, in the famous pic of him standing above Gifford that you posted, he was not celebrating Frank being hurt. He saw a teammate recover the fumble and spun around in celebration. The SI photographer just took the pic at a perfect moment.

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i knew he was not celebrating cause a few seconds before the picture he was checking on gifford and was making sure he did not get landed on by another player.the guy was an american hero even if he did not ever play football.he flew missions over germany in ww2. not a lot of folks know this,but so did the late tom landry.his brother,also a pilot was killed in action during ww2.i always have hated the cowboys,but i respected the hell out of landry,staubach,and another former cowboy named chad hennings who was a pilot in the gulf war.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Had you asked me which player was the face of the Eagles before his death I would have automatically said Bednarik. His career spanned 13 years and of the 172 games the Eagles played from '49 to '62, Bednarik misses a grand total of three (3) freakin' games. He wouldn't even be invited to a Combine now because of size and speed, but make no mistake, he would've been able to line it up against the best the current NFL has to offer. As a youth there were 3 names that exemplified NFL bad-ass: Bednarik, Nitschke and Butkus.
    This^.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Concur. I would add joe greene to that list.

9. DawkinsINT

An asshole Giants fan at the bar told me last night that Bednarik was a scumbag for celebrating Gifford's injury. I explained to him that Chuck was celebrating the fumble recovery and the photo was just taken at a perfect moment to make it seem that way. I even showed him the whole video of the play. His reaction, "He still was a piece of shirt. Good riddance. f**k the Eagles". I was so happy later on when his fat slob of a wife was caught outside making out with another dude. I only wish it was me. She was repulsive, but it would have rubbed it in even more. I would have "taken one for the team". Haha.

smeags and Diesel44 like this.
  10. markaz

Please tell me you're kidding. How pathetic and embarrassing for other Giants' fans. The only thing that gives this guy's worthless life any kind of meaning is a god**mn football team.

11. DawkinsINT

Nope. What's worse is that he is a father to at least one child.

Diesel44 likes this.
  12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I have started to hate the giants more than i do the cowboys the last few years. I Am glad i do not go out much to bars could i have a habit of calling out people that act like that guy did at the bar you were at dawk.
    If he wants a real example of shirtty people off the field,he needs to go no farther than lawrence taylor. he was sensational on the field,but a true piece of shirt off the field.

13. DawkinsINT

Where I live is Giants territory. I wear my Eagles gear all the time. The vast majority of the time when Giants fans talk to me it's because they are football fans and just love talking about the rivalry and the sport in general. There is joking and making fun of each other's teams in good fun. As a fan base, I don't have a problem with them at all. The vast majority are cool as hell. This dude was in the minority.

Only worse Giants fan I have ever come across was some dude about a decade ago wanting to actually go to fisticuffs with me after the Eagles beat the Giants. I made some stupid joke about the Giants and this guy flew off the handle like I raped his mother. His buddies actually laughed at what I said, but then they had to restrain him from going after me.

I'm a die-hard Eagles fan, but never would I take it to those kind of extents. I think just being a fan of the sport should be a bonding thing as opposed to hatred that some have.

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Love the skins,but like you i do not think any sport is work fighting for.now if i saw somebody picking on somebody or somebody was seriously picking on me and put their hands on me,i may get hostile when it gets old.other than that,i try and be nice and respectable to everybody cause you live longer that way.

15. DawkinsINT

Bednarik hated people who did not use their space bar.

16. markaz

Burn

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

greatest eagle ever. only guy with two rings, 49 & 60. im so glad he mended the fences with the eagles and lurie before his death.

it was common place to see chuck at training camp. the guy was an absolute legend and was 100% philly. maybe to a fault at times because he certainly had some strong opinions that he made sure you knew about.

i agree with dawk, there should be a statue outside of the linc.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

so you finally met brooklyn and shante'

DawkinsINT likes this.
  19. smeags

smeags militant geek

20. markaz

Choking isn't considered assault in PA?