Defining LeBron

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by SportsChump, Jun 5, 2015.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

There was once a time in history when every single one of us rooted for Tiger Woods. After all, what wasn’t to like? He was handsome, personable, a smiling young man who represented change in a game that had historically been associated with the upper class. He was a minority dominating a sport the way nobody had before.

Then he had a change of identity. He wasn’t who we thought he was. His approval ratings plummeted.

More at: http://sportschump.net/2015/06/05/defining-lebron/15677/

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

im rooting for golden state but not because i hate lebron, i'd just like to see iggy get a ring. he was a damn good player here in philly that got grossly overpaid by billy king ...but was it his fault the sixers were dumb enough to offer him franchise player money ? nope and he did the right thing taking the money.

now on james, no, i did not like the whole "decision" deal but i'm beyond that, the man is no doubt one of the best players ever. i respect the hell out of that but losing kyrie could prove to be too much if he cant return.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't like the fact that a single player's whim can swing the balance of power of the whole league. One year ago the Cavs had the 1st overall pick, and now they're in the Finals. That shouldn't happen, or at least not that easily. Same for the Heat, they didn't even make the playoffs this year.

Aaron Rodgers could one day wake up and decide he wants to play for the Raiders. That won't mean the Raiders will automatically go to the Super Bowl.

I know, not exactly LeBron's fault, but that talks a lot about the state of the NBA. Two or three superstar players can decide who plays in the finals with no problem at all.

And yes...the whole "The Decision" thing was absolute bullsh!t. At least he learned from that.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

watered down league. its amazing when you realize how many major colleges have BB programs and yet there is only two rounds in the nba draft and for the most part anything out of the top 5 picks usually means bench player or bust.

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

It's a different sport, TJ.

Tim Duncan was drafted and made the Spurs perennial contenders. What's the difference?

Omen likes this.
  6. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

The NBA Draft used to have more rounds, Smeags. s**t just got watered down.

And LeBron is a once in a generation player. How many number one picks since him, with maybe the exception of Anthony Davis, have turned around their teams?

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

true. he def is a game changer. but for every lebron there two or three greg odens.

i still remember the team drafting evan turner at #2 ... imagine if they couldve taken john wall at #1 ?

8. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Wall is damn fast. The poor Sixers still have a long way to go before they're relevant again.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

probably two more years assuming embiid proves he can play and they get deangelo russell.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

No way. Hinkie magic is real. Assuming they are healthy next year there will be a major step forward.

11. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Also assuming they don't tank yet again for another top draft pick.

12. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem, Dominic Wilkins, heck even Clyde Drexler was better in my opinion. Those people were scoring machines back when the league played hard nose defense. LeBron is lucky to be playing in the league that is more interested in slam dunks and no defense.

13. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

No disrespect to your opinion, but I think it's blind hatred of him to not consider James to be one of the greats of all-time. Inside game, outside game, passing ability....he is such an all-round player.

Omen likes this.
  14. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Yeah and and not all teams are dunk first teams. Atlanta and the Spurs are a perimeter teams. They rely on the inside shot.

Lebron is a great player but people just dislike him. Really for being good and ESPN paying him to make spectle of the desicion. Although I think he gave the money away

15. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Drexler better than LeBron, f**k?

C'mon, man.

The numbers don't lie.

Omen likes this.
  16. Buck Fenson

I don't hate LeBron at all. And the numbers don't tell the whole truth. He did come into the league at the age of 19. So by just that he will have a headstart on other greats in numbers. Also, more teams played tougher defense then ,unlike now. Sure, the rules have changed,like in football, favoring offense. LeBron is a great player but not the greatest of all time. Do you think that he could put up these numbers back in the 80's against the Detroit Bad Boys and the Pacers, New York, Bulls? I don't think so.

17. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

LeBron put up 25 in the fourth quarter of a Pistons team that won a championship.

I'm not entirely convinced that the talent in the league in the 80s was far superior than it is now. I think we suffer from a little revisionist history when it comes those types of arguments.

Numbers aside, LeBron's been to six finals. Drexler went to two with Portland and then one with Houston. The talent on both those teams were far superior to anything that LeBron played with, with the exception of Dwayne Wade.

I like Clyde. I just can't say he's better than LeBron.

Omen likes this.
  18. Buck Fenson

perhaps you have a point. watching game 2 right now. He is the best in the league that is for sure Maybe it is because of the above mentioned players are HOFers. I will probably revisit my thinking if a few of the newer players make the Hall. LeBron, to me, has less talented competition to play against than the players I mentioned. Time will tell.

19. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

It looks like Bron Bron's lost a little of his vertical, Buck.

It'll be interesting to see how his game evolves as he's no longer powering to the rim and finishing.

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

LeBron has already missed two clutch shots in this series.