Concussion-The Movie

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Diesel44, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Am telling you as a redskins fan and football lover over 45 years,everybody needs to see this movie. I Love football, but i am finally understanding what these guys go through to entertain us every week. They are paying one hell of a price,no matter how much they make it ain't worth it. I Alway thought that Andre waters was just a thug in a uniform,this movie made me see what CTE can do to anybody that takes the trauma these guys take every game. Mike webster,justin strzelcyk,and Dave Duerson's struggles are also told..

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The modern players I don't feel so bad for, but the old timers that didn't realize the effects of CTE could have I feel awful for.

3. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Feel sorry for all of them. They are like gladiators in rome,they just get paid a lot more. It is not just football. CTE has shown up in boxing,hockey,baseball, basketball,soccer and on the battlefield with soldiers who have had traumatic injuries and concussions.I would bet it has been around a long time before this doctor looked for evidence of it.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I don't know if I'll watch this movie or not.

What effect will this movie have? While I think it will make parents keep their kids from playing football, I don't know if it will have much effect on the NFL.

As I heard one local sports commentator say on the radio this morning, "You can't kill King Kong with a shoulder wound."

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The special on ESPN (or was it NFL Network) is probably more powerful than this movie. Reviews aren't so good.

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

you should watch the movie. it is very powerful.

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It will have an effect,but the fans won't really know what it is. NFL will continue to be the most popular league in american sports.I Just hope that the league and the players keep working together on making safer and better equipment and researching on how to not have as many concussions and how to better detect and treat the after effects. I Bet one day this ( CTE) is proven to be around in society in other ways that athelitics. A lot of history's well known people had a history of head trauma and concussions.Everybody from dictators to serial killers.They probably all did not have CTE,but i bet more of them had it than did not.Eventually,this problem will be a society problem and not just one for athelitics.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

I really have to question humanity's claim of being an intelligent lifeform if if they didn't realize continued head trauma can cause issues.

TJ likes this.
  10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

all of it comes down to one thing,money. as long as they think they will lose money by revealing and coming out and saying something,nobody in organized sports will say a damn thing or admit anything.

11. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I'm about half way through the book. Plan on finishing it before seeing the flick.

It's an interesting time, that's for sure.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

is the book written by the doctor who lived through it? i thought the movie was based on his actual story. you should watch the pbs special" league of denial" which goes into greater detail on the whole story.

13. ragman

I saw the movie. While it's a good movie, I don't think it's THE movie that will make the NFL change how they do things. It may make parents think twice about letting their kids play football.

14. Kurt

why would it make parents think twice? Does it specifically speak about damage being done to our kids? Or is it more about "hits at the NFL level"?

15. ragman

There's a scene at the end of the movie that addresses that. I don't want to say too much about it.

16. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I think that was Omalu's overall message.

It's a generational thing.

We'll see what happens to the NFL in another twenty years or so.

Enjoy it while it lasts, boys.

17. Kurt

Don't be scared.... I dont bite!

18. ragman

At the end of the movie, there is a scene where Will Smith's character is looking at some high school football players practicing.

19. Kurt

Figures...

20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

contact sports won't be banned in our lifetime. i wonder if the helments and such can be made out of kevalar? that would help lessen the impact a bit one would think. my son wanted to play sports in high school,but he was so involved with ROTC he never really had the time for it.I Would have let him play if he wanted. I Got a 3 year old grandson and i know he will play contact sports. just hope it maybe safer then.