Overtime - Change Or Not?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Chrisbob, Sep 11, 2007.

?

How should NFL overtime work

Poll closed Sep 21, 2007.
  1. Adopt the college system

14.3%
  2. At least one possession per team

33.3%
  3. No overtime (in regular season)

4.8%
  4. Leave well alone

38.1%
  5. Other

9.5%
  1. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

Would you like to see a change in the rules for overtime or leave them as they are?

Some other alternatives:

Adopt the college system: Each team gets a chance to match what the other does but reduce the impact of special teams.

At least one possession each: Like was done in NFLE, if a team scores on their first possession, the other team gets a chance to match it.

No Overtime: Well, it couldn't happen in post season as you need something but in regular seaosn, just get rid of it maybe?

Leave well alone: Everyone knows the score, everyone knows the coin toss is vital, just get on with it.

Other: Some other idea.....

I'm a leave well alone man myself.....

2. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

3. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Didn't I start a thread about this about a year ago? Does it still exist somewhere?

No Overtime, or have each team run a 2-minute drill.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'm a one possession for both type of guy.

5. yisman

yeah, there have been a few threads on this in the past

6. P16

P16 posting while intoxicated

I've always loved the college system for overtime. Its the most fun to watch and has always seemed to be the most fair to me.

7. yisman

I don't like it because it takes your punt/kickoff teams out of the picture, and starting in FG range is silly.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Is it just me or is this more of an offseason topic?

9. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

I like the way it's done, your D needs to step it the heck up end of discussion.

10. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

What Yisman said.....

I mentioned it because it was discussed on NFL Network by Deion, Mooch and Eisen after the Skins - Dolphins game.

I found it interesting that Deion was all for the college system and when Eisen pointed out it takes Special teams out of it I had to laugh because when he played for the Skins (ugh!) he helped them win a game versus the Buc's with a long punt return to set up a FG in OT.

I like the piece yisman posted, interesting ideas.

11. yisman

also, the user comments had some good ideas. I was one of the people involved in the discussion.

I watched the end of the Redskins game, and the announcers were talking about it. One of the guys is like "That's the way it is, therefore it's right."

Jackbutt. The system is a bad system. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.

12. Crawl

Crawl Pro Bowler

I voted leave alone, I did find it funny that until me there was only redskin fans that voted for it.
    Wouldn't have anything to do with supporting week #1 would it?

13. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Don't touch it. As someone said, there's a D on the field too.

14. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

we've been at the wrong end of it a few times, I recall a loss to the Giants a few years ago where they got the ball first and did it straight off the bat.

I do like that FO piece though, the bargaining for field position is an interesting tactical idea.

15. Jupap7

Jupap7 Eternal Rookie

Other,
    Set a short Extra Period, 5 min max.
    If it's a tied after that. ... The game is tied

16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I'm too. Love it the way it run here at the NFLE.

17. truelife

truelife 6-0 is our goal

i think the fairest way is to do a coin toss winner decides to kick or receive then kicking team kicks off and offense does what it can do basically using 4 down's instead of 4. If they score or are held then they kick off to the other team and this goes on untill one team outscores the other

18. Landry the Legend

Landry the Legend OH HOW I HATE OHIO STATE!

I never liked ties, I would use the college system.

19. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

i like it the way it is.

i'm against the college system due to the stats being skewed from it.

20. seanq

seanq Starter

Regular season - Kick off from the 35, one possession each with a 10 minute game clock. Once each team has had one possession, or when the game clock expires, the game is over. Ties allowed.

Post season - Same, but no ties allowed. Additional possessions after the first set are sudden death.

Both teams O & D get a shot. Kickoffs go a bit deeper, but the first team on offense has a chance (with a good drive) to eat up more than half of the period. Shorter period both helps the networks etc plan on the approximate upper limit of game length for regular season games. In the post season they allow for slightly more frequent rest breaks for the players should the game go into multiple periods.