Bobby Petrino Resigns

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by Bears 88, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

College coaches aren't made for the NFL, now.

2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

what an butthole

3. Cheezymadman

Cheezymadman Born Again Browns Backer

Can't exactly blame him.

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Blank committed to him for next year and then he resigns,thats a snitch move in my book

5. Cheezymadman

Cheezymadman Born Again Browns Backer

He was probably expecting to get Vick back somewhat soon. sentencing and the Arkansas job opening up, I'd have done the same.

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned his position as coach of the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday and is negotiating an agreement to become the new coach at the University of Arkansas, multiple sources told ESPN.

Bobby Petrino's first foray into the NFL coaching ranks lasted 13 games. Ten were losses.

Petrino and his agent had been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. The former Louisville coach was looking for an opportunity to break into the Southeastern Conference ranks, and Arkansas was a natural fit.

Citing the team as its source, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Petrino phoned the Falcons about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and resigned. Petrino and the team agreed he would not coach the Falcons' remaining three games, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Negotiations between Petrino and Arkansas are ongoing, the sources told ESPN. Once a deal is in place, Petrino is expected to be paid around $3 million a year, the sources said.

Petrino signed a five-year, $24 million contract to be the Falcons head coach, so he will be taking a pay cut to re-enter the college ranks. The Falcons are 3-10 and have had their season torn apart by Michael Vick's involvement in a dogfighting ring and subsequent 23-month jail sentence, which was levied Monday.

NFL sources said there was no buyout in Petrino's contract with the Falcons.

Petrino will succeed Houston Nutt, who was hired by Mississippi immediately after resigning at Arkansas. Tommy Tuberville and Tommy Bowden were both linked to the Arkansas opening, but they remained as coaches at Auburn and Clemson, respectively.

Arkansas flirted with hiring Jim Grobe -- a private fundraising arm for the Razorbacks approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach -- but Grobe stayed with the Demon Deacons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

7. Spiderman34

Spiderman34 Starter

He's probably doing the Falcons a favor here.

8. skinsfan1

skinsfan1 BANNED

can't say I blame him (RE: Spurrier)

9. Homer34

Homer34 BOOMSTICK!

LMAO!

Saban, Spurrier, now him? It's a wonder Pete Carroll hasn't came back to the big ranks!

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't blame him either. When he signed, the Falcons had Vick and needed just a little tweaking to be contenders. Now they're a rebuilding project. That's not what he signed for.

Now, please STAY THE FREAK AWAY from Jason Garrett.

11. Spiderman34

Spiderman34 Starter

I think it has more to do with the fact that he was overmatched for the NFL game.

He was a rookie head coach. Who the heck is he to say "this is not what I signed for".

12. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

There are certain ways to do things. This was not the way to do it. A 10 second good bye to your coaching staff? Totally classless.

13. DrunkBomber

DrunkBomber Rally Rex

All the vets hated him and he would have needed a multi year rebuilding program. Its not exactly a dream job in Atlanta. You cant blame him for initially taking the job based on how much money he got. I would say he should have waited till the end of the season but that hurts his recruiting.

14. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

I saw this on ESPN before I left the house this afternoon... unbelievable. And here we all thought it would be Cameron Cameron that ditched the NFL after one year. Bobby must have called Nick Saban for advice.

15. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

he realizes that the franchise is in complete shambles and the Vick situation gives him a free pass this year. if he stayed any longer, it could hurt his coaching career. good decision for him and for Arkansas

16. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Maybe he didn't handle it right but he made the right move for him and the Falcons. Certainly wasn't what he signed up for and obviously wasn't going to get any better for a while.

17. lostfan

lostfan Starter

I can't really say this was unexpected.

18. Gobears81

Gobears81 Starter

Petrino..what a freaking happy.

lol..Little tweaking? Losing Vick was addition by subtraction for them.

19. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think it was because of Blank's "fried chicken" statement. He doesn't want to work for a racist.

20. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Gotta love these college coaches failing in the pros and running back to college after a year or two.