Texas RB Jamaal Charles To Enter The Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by mouse, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mouse

mouse Starter

Charles leaving school to enter NFL draft

Associated Press
    Updated: January 2, 2008, 5:24 PM ET

[​IMG]

Jamaal Charles was the fourth Longhorn to rush for more than 1,500 yards in a season. He'll be the first from a list that includes a pair of Heisman Trophy winners to leave early for the NFL.

The junior running back, who had 1,619 yards and 18 touchdowns this season, announced Wednesday he will enter the NFL draft.

Charles joined Cedric Benson and Heisman winners Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell as the only Longhorns to rush for more than 1,500 yards in a season.

His biggest game of the season was a career-high 290 yards in a 28-25 win over Nebraska in which he had 216 yards and three long TDs in the fourth quarter. He also had 161 yards and two touchdowns in Texas' Pacific Life Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State. Texas finished 10-3.

He indicated after the bowl game he would return but had filed paperwork with the NFL to test where he might get drafted. The response, which he did not disclose, prompted his decision, he said in a statement released by the school.

"Playing in the NFL has always been my dream and when the NFL report came back, I was happy with the grade and felt like it was best for me to enter the draft," said Charles, who led the Big 12 in rushing.
    T
    he first high-profile player to declare early for the draft, Charles could be joined by running backs Darren McFadden of Arkansas, a Heisman finalist, and Steve Slaton of West Virginia, among others.

Charles is the rare Texas player to leave coach Mack Brown early. Quarterback Vince Young, who led Texas to the 2005 national championship, is the only other Longhorn to enter the draft early in Brown's 10 seasons in Austin.

Brown figured he would lose a major contributor before ever coaching a game at Texas, but Williams shocked everyone by returning for his senior season -- Brown's first with the Longhorns -- in 1998. Williams won the Heisman that year.

Charles' 3,328 yards rushing rank fourth in school history, trailing Williams, Benson and Campbell.

"We appreciate everything Jamaal has done for Texas and want to wish him all of the best," Brown said. "He has been a great player for us and more importantly a tremendous person, student and representative of our program."

A slashing runner with sprinter's speed, Charles averaged 6.2 yards per carry this season. After being dogged by early-season fumbling problems -- including a key drop near the goal line in a 28-21 loss to Oklahoma -- he flourished down the stretch, averaging 180 yards over the final five games.

He was a four-time All-American in track for the Longhorns and ran a career-best 10.23-second 100 meters to win the Big 12 title as a freshman in 2006.

Charles' departure leaves quarterback Colt McCoy as the team's leading returning rusher. McCoy had 492 yards while the top returning tailback, Vondrell McGee, had 297 yards on 75 carries and eight TDs.

2. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

i wonder what round he is predicted to go in

3. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

My guess would be Round2 but if he tears up the Combine then he is a rd 1 pick easy. To mant potential gem RBs in this Draft. I wish he would have standed him soo he could of learned more and only developed into a top snotch RB. He can def. carry the ROCK

4. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Alot of guys think he is a Mid 1st to Mid 2nd round talent. If he runs a 4.25 which most believe he can he will get picked in the mid first granted theres anyone wanting to select a RB.

5. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

Jamaal Charles knows he will get picked in rd1 or rd2 or he woulda standed in. He can run with any1 in this draft class

6. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

He's going to be a great pickup by whoever gets him. I reckon he'll be overlooked, and then explode onto the NFL scene in week 1 of the season.

7. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

I hope he does and i think he will be overlooked-barring he dont explode at the Combine!!!

8. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

Lol, it hurts me to admit it as I'm an OU fan, but I really think he's going to be a star. He reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, but faster.

9. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Nobodys going to overlook a 4.25 - 4.3 40 time at the combine, which he should run.

10. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

In this draft class, he's a 1st Rounder easy.

I can't see him beating Tye Hill's combine record though...