49ers Hire Mike Martz for Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by frost, Jan 8, 2008.

1. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Link

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

No suprise here...

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Shoot me.

4. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Not a Martz fan at all but he definitely should be able to improve the offense. He doesn't have the personnel that he will need to make a big impact though.

5. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

:cowboy1: :shoot: :whoosh: Missed.

6. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

he needs to learn the run also but he knows the widerecievers to get.

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

hes a good oc , but hes got very complex schemes and when you got morons like the Lions who cant understand them it makes him look bad, this is an improvement in the 49ers personnel.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

IMO, he's not what the 49ers need, he's not a QB guy so Smith is still hecked we have no WRs and Martz loves to go long, what's he going to do with Gore????? The only guy on the team that is probably happy about this change is Vernon Davis.

We're going to see another year of freaking crap.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why would VD be happy? Martz doesn't even use TE for the most part.

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

He'll use him now as a WR, silly.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

That would be wild.

12. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Martz has a great offensive mind and can create some interesting schemes obviously but....he's a little nuts if you ask me and I would think that the Niners and Smith could use some stability. Not something new and complex and a little nutty.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Ya think!!!!!!!!!!!! Here comes another season of hating to see Sunday roll around.

14. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

I agree 100% Sweets. This in no way benefits Alex Smith and will only get him gone for another year. If i were a Niner fan i would have wanted a guy that will build around Smiths strengths and not bring in a guy like Martz, that in known for getting QBs murderedddd.

15. eaglesrule4ever

jeez i know what you guys are thinking but i really think shaun hill will make a real push for the starting job next year it depends on how alex smith plays.

16. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

totally agree.....

i think Cameron would have been a better fit. Nolan and Martz will clash....it will last one season at most. i'm wondering if Martz could end up replacing Nolan after next season.

17. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

Smith cant even handle a simple pop warner playbook and we now have Martz? here comes 35 picks in 4 games....

18. eaglesrule4ever

jeez if that happens im gonna be laughin so hard at alex smith cuse he would be wondering why aint i playing good i was the best player in peewee football why aint i still as good.

19. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Cameron would have been the perfect fit. So, being as we are the 49ers, we naturally went in the opposite direction and got the guy who is notorious for running a wide open RB and TE free offense. Yeah, we've got a great between the tackles power runner, a freakish TE, no qb and almost no wideouts. So let's get the guy who likes to do nothing but throw throw throw!! Success!! :tsk:

I mean, ok, we will probably have a better offense with Martz than we did with Hoss but still, why not go for the best option available and get a guy who has a reputation for success with a team that had similar strengths as us?

It's freaking baffling.

EDIT: Oh, and no I don't see Martz as a potential replacement for Nolan, unless he somehow totally turns the offense into a playoff-caliber squad. If anything it's the opposite, Nolan is going to use him as a scapegoat in order to keep his own job if the offense fails and again sinks the team. Nolan can just pull the "It wasn't my fault, Mike had total control over the offense!" card and bamboozle the Yorks into giving him a contract extension. See, hiring a guy like Cameron or Gailey would almost assure at least competency on the offensive side of the ball and make Nolans gameday coaching inadequacies more glaring as a result. Martz is the kind of guy who is either going to have spectacular success or spectacular failure, either way it's good for Nolan. He will be seen as a genius for taking a gamble on a guy like Martz and making such a good hire if he succeeds, and has himself a scapegoat if he fails.

20. eaglesrule4ever

yea cameron would be a better fit sure but i think martz knows how to pick widerecievers they wont keep him long.