Favre Tells Packers He's Retiring

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by n1gbpackfan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

Favre tells Packers he's retiring

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Foxsports.com first reported Favre's decision.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

2. Rips Vikes

Rips Vikes GO VIKES!!!

Madden has been seen with bombs strapped about his body and tears in his eyes.

3. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

:icon_eek:

I'm shocked. After last year I thought it was a guarantee he'd come back. It's ashame his career had to end with an OT pick against the Giants rather than a storybook Super Bowl run.

Props to a great career and goodbye to a legend.:clap: It's going to be weird to see the Packers playing without #4.

4. n1gbpackfan

I know that the time has come, but as a Packers fan, I have to say that I will truly miss watching him every Sunday. I also beleive that there are many football fans out there, that are not Packers fans will feel the same. It is a sad day in Wisconsin. :icon_sad:

5. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I just got a call from a relative who is a big Bears fan about this...........You'd think they just won the Super Bowl or something he's so happy.:eek:hboy:

I can't believe Favre decides to go out now with this team being so young and specifically after getting so close last year. Definitely the end of an era.....I'll miss watching the guy play.

6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

If this is true, oh man, the grin on my face right now.

BYE BYE Brett!!

7. n1gbpackfan

Yeah, I am sure the Bears and the Vikings fan are celebrating.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow. I thought for sure he would come back after the great year he had last season.

9. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

No crap! He's been postponing his retirement so many times that I though I'd not be alive to see this.
    It will be weird not to see #4 next September.

10. n1gbpackfan

Personally, seeing there hasn't been a press conference announced, I am hoping he will have a change of heart so your grin can turn to tears! :icon_cheesygrin:

11. krfire

krfire Team Veteran

Bret has earned his place in history. As a packer hater I will not miss playing him twice a year. but I respect the man cause he stuck it out with them for so many years. He could have left Green Bay signed with anyone and made millions of dollars. Thanks for being so loyal all these years.

12. dolphindude13

Yeah, maybe this is a screw up like 2 weeks ago when he retired!:icon_thumright:

13. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

:fworks18::fworks18::fworks18:

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Favre was by far my favorite non-Cowboy player. The start of his legend coincided with when I started watching the NFL, so he's been around for as long as I've been a fan (damn...I'm getting old!!). It will be a weird feeling not seeing #4 leading the Packers.

So long, Brett. HOF class of 2013 for sure.

15. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

*Madden gets up of off his knees, takes a step over to the right, and gets back into position.*

[​IMG]

16. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

I really thought he would come back, team's talented and young, and a game away from the Super Bowl. Wow.

Props to Favre on a great career, I hope good things happen for him in retirement.

17. dolphindude13

Wow Romo holds the ball way to low....what a wortless piece of crap!:icon_cheesygrin: :sarcasm1:

18. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

lol @ Bear fans celebrating...they still have Rexi so I wouldn't be that happy...

Aaron Rogers finally gets to start...Congrats to Favre on a great career with many teams and fans hating on him...lol

19. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I heard on espn that he isn't planning to do a press conference.

20. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

cya, craphead.