Lightning Hire Barry Melrose As New HC

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Bears 88, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Link

Wow. scared

2. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

THANK YOU TAMPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's finally off my TV. I'll never have to hear his drivel again.
    BTW, that team is doomed. The only thing he's worse at than broadcasting is coaching.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

lmao !

4. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I agree with wide right. Good riddance.

5. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

I liked Barry Melrose as a broadcaster, I am not sure what kind of coach he will be. I hate to see him leave ESPN. The way coaching in professional sports goes he'll probably be back in two years.

6. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

He couldn't win with Gretzky on his team if that lends any perspective.

7. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

That does lend a little prespective, so I'll get to see him back on ESPN sooner rather than later.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

wow...

9. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Melrose is going to have his hands full in TB.

10. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Greaaaat..... just what we Bolts fans need - more ridicule for hiring a guy who's been out of coaching for 13 years.....

The only thing worse than this is if they move the team to Tulsa!!:nono:

In what way? They have the talent, they just need a consistent goalie and some tough D.....

11. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

Mike Smith may be your answer for the consistent goalie problem as soon as he gets some regular playing time.

Lecavalier will probably be dealt. That could solve your D problem but create an O problem at the same time. You all had better hope Stamkos is the real deal.

12. tigersucs

tigersucs nfl-fans refugee

Worst kept secret in hockey since the end of May. Good move in bringing in Tocchet only if he can stay away from the gamblers now. Also Walz should be a decent addition behind the bench/in the press box.

As for the claims that he couldn't win, he did win both the Memorial and Calder Cups before going to LA. IMO he got a raw deal much like Ted Nolan after being let go by McNall and LA. The 93 team ran into a buzzsaw that was Patrick Roy in the Finals and a bad penalty by McSorley late in the 3rd period of game 2 blew that series. LA lost games 2,3 and 4 all in OT. They could of won given a few bounces here and there.

As for Tampa as I pointed out earlier their farm system is terrible. Hopefully they don't need to get to deep in goaltending or defense.