What Should The Packers Do About Brett Favre?

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Chrisbob, Jul 14, 2008.

?

What's the best option for the Packers with Brett Favre

Poll closed Jul 28, 2008.
  1. Bring him back, make him the starter

12.5%
  2. Bring him back, allow him to battle for the starting job

6.3%
  3. Hold his rights and allow him back if need be but he'll re-retire

18.8%
  4. Give him his release

21.9%
  5. Trade him

34.4%
  6. Other (please state)

6.3%
  1. hermhater

hermhater Guest

If he wants to leave, he has earned that right.

2. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

How and why? The Packers are supposed to release him for nothing? Or trade him to a potential rival? Screw that. He's earned the right to a) retire or b) retire.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

exactly - i am amazed at the amount of people that think the packers should just let him go for nothing by releasing him.

4. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Reinstate him and make him sit the bench.

5. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

That hurts the Packers too. If he comes back their salary cap is hecked. They've built this team under the assumption he is retired. They have unsigned draft picks still and a star RB who'll be a free agent. Favre would be a $12 million backup. No freaking way.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

i have always been a big fan of farve's play, i just can't believe he has handled things the way he has the last couple of years in the off-season.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Bring him back and make him the starter...OR...release him.

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

n1gb, don't you think it's awful if you need almost a half year to make up your mind and this for 3 years now?

Would your boss accept this? I don't think so.

9. DisabledMess

DisabledMess Rookie

I'm not into the Packers that much but did they draft a quarterback?

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Two of them:

Brian Brohm in the 2nd round.
    Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

11. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

release him and be done with the flip flopper...watch him fail miserably somewhere else...

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Let him come back, put him behind Aaron Rodgers on the depth chart, if he don't like it to bad, re-retire...

13. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

This has become a clusterheck and a PR/Media nightmare for all involved. The Packers did everything right and dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. The player is losing credibility and integrity by flip flopping. There is too much at stake for the franchise to have to respond to this unexpected curve ball at this time. The team is getting ready for training camp and everybody is on pins and needles. It is unnecessary and kills morale. Imagine how many Media Credentials will be applied for to go to training camp? It will be a three ring circus, with a dog and pony show as an opening act. I said it before, call Parcells and see if something can be done concerning Jason Taylor for the crying, retiring, un-retiring qb. Could solve 2 problems. And would make a great story.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

All the Packers have to do is release him and the "nightmare" is gone...they are doing it to themselves. They are either better off at the QB position if they keep him or they release him and they can try the old Aaron Rodgers experiment.

They're making it a bigger deal than it has to be...it really is that simple. If they think Aaron Rodgers is better for the team, then they shouldn't mind releasing him...right??? If they think he's better than Aaron Rodgers, which obviously they do or they wouldn't be pining over this, then keep him and let him start. It's not rocket science...he's got little to no trade value. The only team they would consider trading him to out of the three front runners is Tampa Bay...and to get anything for value, you need another team in there...

15. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

afjay, BarlOwens, Bears 88, DisabledMess, krfire, Omen

you all voted to release him. Do you understand the awful ramifications that could happen if they do?

Plus, it would validate to Fagvre that he is above everyone else

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

wrong, wrong, and wrong. :icon_rolleyes:

1st off the packers aren't doing any of this, farve is. he is orchestrating this whole thing. if he didnt really feel like retiring even when he was gushing the obvious crocidile tears at the press conference then he should've just did what he did the prior two years which was made the packers wait.

releasing him is assinine. why the heck would they let him go for "nothing" - that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. you're better than that ward.

amazing that people think this. shows they do no understand the structure of the game or don't care enough to know it.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Because the Packers can't trade him without Favre's consent. He gets to chose where he wants to go...if they trade him somewhere he doesn't want to be, all he needs to do is not report and the Packers are stuck with him and the $12.8M.

THe Packers agreed to the same contract that Favre did and now Favre is trying to honor it, but the Packers don't want him to and don't want him to play anywhere...:icon_rolleyes:

If you saw the interview last night...seems to me that aside from "retiring" early, he's been pretty straight forward about this.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

that changes absolutely nothing on the packers stance and actually further proves how much of a douche bag farve is being. if he just wants to play again like he says then he should have no issue with being traded so he has a chance to play. refusing this refutes his claims.

also, if he doesn't report he does not get paid. there is no guaranteed money at this point in the contract and in addition he would get fined daily if he held out so again, farve is proving to be to rod in this whole thing has nothing to gain by acting this way. take a trade and play, that's what he keeps saying he wants right ? so why would he refuse a chance to play ?

also, he's trying to honor the contract ? really ? man that's a good one. he retires, changes his mind like a woman and people now tout him as trying to honor said contract. lmao. :icon_smile:

yeah, holding the team hostage for the 3rd year in a row is really being a stand up guy. :icon_rolleyes:

19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

dude please it has nothing to do with the structure of the game this is just my opinion. nothing else

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

cool, so you don't care that your opinion is flawed. gotcha. :icon_cool: