2008 Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by Garnett, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

You lost to the great country of Michael Phelps. Viva Mexico, armpit of the Americas!!!

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

LMAO!!! Yeah, us and 180something other countries...what's your point?

We had our best olympics since LA '84 when well...we were at home :icon_cool:

I'm thrilled about it...call me names, make fun of it, you won't take it away from me, second place :icon_cheesygrin:

3. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

All kidding aside, congratulations. A lot of your divers were pushing for medals. Where did that come from, all of those old episodes of Wide World of Sports that featured cliff diving?

4. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Diving has always been a tradition in Mexico, going back to the times of Joaquin Capilla winning 4 medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronzes) over three Olympics. In the 90s we had our young promises like Mary Jose Alcala, Azul Almazan and Fernando Platas, but only the latter could deliver a medal home.

Paola kind of disappointed me because I truly expected her to get a medal, but the other gal Tatiana Ortiz surprised everyone by finishing fifth in platform. Youngsters Yahel Castillo (springboard) and Rommel Pacheco (platform) are just getting started and they already reached their respective finals. I fully expect them both to win medals in London.

5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

exactly, why not just cancel all sports, the US didn't win a gold medal....

btw, we have table tennis, Badminton and Field hockey Leagues here, but almost nobody plays baseball or softball, just saying....

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Rep

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I don't speak for all Americans, but I do agree that some of the sports are a little lame.

I wouldn't say that getting rid of them just because we didn't win any medals is the answer though.

8. Susielr

Susielr Go Steelers

I say get rid of basketball....and the USA mens won gold in that.

(Just kidding....I just don't care for the sport...lol)

9. InfinitePulse

InfinitePulse disgusted.

That's probably the most popular sport besides "futbol" worldwide...

10. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Michael Phelps Purchases Home In Fells Point.

After four years in Michigan and the Beijing Olympics, Michael Phelps has made it clear how excited he is about returning home to Baltimore.

Mike Schuh reports his new digs are right on the water.

wjz.com - Michael Phelps Purchases Home In Fells Point

11. Susielr

Susielr Go Steelers

I know...that is why I said I was kidding.

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

sure there are some lame sports at the Olympics, but the games are a world wide event and more than 200 nations sending their athlets to it. So you can't say Field Hockey is a lame sport, just bc it isn't popular in the US. It's popular at Europe, Asia and down under too. If someone want to americanize the Olympics, he has to create his own games

13. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

The events YOU give a crap about.

You don't speak for the whole world:icon_rolleyes:

14. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

If it ain't a hit in USA, it sucks/blows/bores.

I thought you'd be used to that mindset by now. I am, so I take those comments with a grain of salt.

15. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Well I wasn't going to include Field Hockey, I'm not even too sure what that is, but synchronized swimming is more like ballet than a sport.

Wait, is ballet an Olympic sport?

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Then ban figure skating for the winter olympics as well...I think it's the same.

IMO, they should ban any sport where judges decide who wins and who doesn't. That includes Gymnastics, diving (and I'm mexican), that trampouline joke, et al. Let the fastest and the strongest win.

17. Ridin Burgundy

I can't agree with that but something needs to be done about some of the scoring systems. Some of the results were a joke.

18. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Well Mexico, Britain and the U.S. (me) agree with that.

19. Ridin Burgundy

I bet China doesn't:icon_rolleyes:

It really puts a downer on things when people who have dedicated their lives to something don't even get a fair shot to win.

I really hope we don't see any of it in 2012.

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Surprising, uh? :icon_confused: