Phillies Reach Deal With OF Raul Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by 86WARD, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Free-agent outfielder Raul Ibanez has reached preliminary agreement with the Phillies on a three-year, $30 million contract, according to major-league sources. The deal, pending a physical, was reached early Friday morning at the winter meetings in Las Vegas. The Mets, Cubs, Nationals and Angels also were interested in Ibanez, who batted .293 with 23 homers and 110 RBIs last season for the Mariners while playing his home games at pitcher-friendly Safeco Field.

Source: FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Sources: Ibanez reaches deal with Phillies

2. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

10 Million a season seems a bit much lol. Hes a decent player though.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree. He's a decent player...worth $10M/year? No...

Danny Tartabull all over again?!?!?

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Dammit, Ward...would you stop bringing up Tartabull? :icon_lol:

It's a bit much, but there was a lot of interest in him.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Sorry...he's one of my favorite Phillies Free Agent Signings...

Danny Tartabull
    Lance Parrish
    Greg Jeffries

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I really want to kick you in the nuts now.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't let those moves bother me any longer since we have our second championship. :buttrock:

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Ouch...

8. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

hmm, I love the signing, higher average and now in a hitter's park and about 4 million CHEAPER than Burrell. Sounds like a winner to me.

9. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

It's official now......
    ....even more than was reported. A good player but damn, that's a lot.

10. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

:wave2: bye bye pat. we'll miss you

11. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

He walks a lot less than Pat, though. Pat posts an OPS in the mid to high 800s while Ibanez posts on in the low to mid 800s. They're both horrible defensively, though a smaller LF in CBP might help Ibanez cover more ground than Burrell could, but his arm is not as strong or accurate, he takes poor routes to balls, and he just looks out of place on the field a lot. So, he's a slight downgrade from Burrell and like mike said, we paid him 3-5 million less per year than Pat will get.

He's a fine replacement for Burrell next year, but this was a pretty bad signing.

1) He's a lefty coming into an already heavy left-handed line-up.

2) He'll be 40 at the end of this contract and there's a VERY good chance he won't be a starting outfielder in the final year, in which he'll still be making 10 million.

I'm not going to complain because I like the guy as a hitter (and it's not as if I'm used to great defense in LF) and it's not my money, but Amaro probably could have allocated this money in a better fashion.

As for Pat, we knew this was coming. It's sad to see him go, but at the same time, it's great to see the way he's going out. I'll always remember him for the double in Game 5 that ended up producing the winning run and as the guy in the shades, sitting on the Clysdales, waving bye to the city. I hope he goes to an NL team, because I plan on going to his first game back n Philly and giving him a standing ovation.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd much rather have Burrell...

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

i don't like the deal. too much money for another leftie bat in this line-up. teams are going to run from 2nd to home on us more with ibanez out there. if we still get lowe i will be less disappointed in this signing.

14. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Not going to happen. Phils just inked Chan Ho Park to a one year deal (2.5 million) and he's saying that it is to be a starter. If they look at this as a replacement for Moyer, I will be pissed, but hopefully they bring him back to and our rotation is now rounded out.

Park should be kind of like the Durbin signing last year. In ST he'll battle it out with Happ and Kendrick for the fifth spot in the rotation and if he doesn't get it, he'll probably be moved to the pen as a long reliever. I'd love him as a long reliever, but I don't think he has it in him to still be a formidable starter. I guess we'll see, though.

15. mike oxlong

I can't believe we signed Park, that dude hasn't been good since 2001. WTF????

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Signed Moyer today...they said that Park could challenge for the 5th spot in the rotation, but he will most likely come out of the pen...

17. mike oxlong

He's terrible.

18. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I'm not crazy about either signing. If we were going to spend so much money on Ibanez we might as well just threw a few mil more out for Burrell. I really hope Pat stays in the NL, I don't see him being an AL hitter at all.

Park, ugh, not SP potential. Welcome to the bullpen buddy. I see us getting rid of Happ since we got this piece of work.

I'm glad we kept Moyer. I didn't think he wanted to go anywhere and was just holding out to see what he could get.

19. mike oxlong

I don't mind Ibenez, but I wish we could have gotten Dunn.

20. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

Ibanez has been one of the more consistent hitters in baseball in recent years. Good pick up for the Phils...I dont know too much about his injury history.
    Maybe they over-paid? He's top 10 in a lot of offensive categories too.