Sixers Fire Coach Cheeks

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by TJ, Dec 13, 2008.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Philadelphia 76ers have fired coach Maurice Cheeks with the team slumping at 9-14 a season after making the playoffs. Director of player personnel Tony DiLeo becomes the interim coach. General manager Ed Stefanski had given Cheeks two contract extensions in the past season, but the slow start was enough to cost him his job.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/11169775

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow. I didn't know this happened. I don't know much about DiLeo. Hopefully he can help turn things around.

3. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

It's a shame how cheeks' career ends in Philly. He is and always will be a legend as a player, too bad it couldn't translate as a coach

4. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

meh. i never thought cheeks was a good coach. i dont know why they extended him. it was onyl a matter of time till they canned his sorry ass

5. DawkinsINT

:qft:

Too bad that he couldn't instill the fire he has to the players.

6. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I never liked him hopefully we do better with someone else.

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Did you say that with a cocktail in your hand, and a cigarette in your mouth?

8. DawkinsINT

You have no idea how great a player he was for the Sixers. He didn't pan out as a coach, but a Sixers fans saying that they never liked him angers me. You have no idea what kind of baller he was.

9. mike oxlong

baskett actually said he never liked cheeks! I wish you never quoted that crap Dawk, it really bothers me. That guy is a freaking legend and class act. He is one of the greatest all around players on and off the field in Philly sports history and for a "supposed" Philly fan to say that is more than ignorant.

10. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

thats why i conditionalized my statement with "as a coach"

11. ball in the baskett

I meant i never liked him as a coach never really saw him play because it was so long ago but from what ive heard he was really good. As a coach he hasent done anything good for us. I heard stephen a smith say that eddie jordon will be the new coach next year.

12. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Leave him alone dude.

:spankbottom:

13. DawkinsINT

I heard that our next coach will be pulled from Wilt Chamberlain's list of thousands of lovers. If she isn't still alive, the next of kin takes over.

14. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

could be me. could be my father. could be my unnaturally tall, black, half-brother

15. ball in the baskett

What do you guys think of eddie jordon he isnt really that bad of a coach he was good with the wizards until arenas started getting hurt.

16. Jeffgoodt

Jeffgoodt Team Veteran

Good call. hes a nice guy but that doesnt mean he is a good coach. We have talent this year its a shame he couldnt coach as well as he did last year

17. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Did he get hurt, or BUTT hurt?

18. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I dont like him at all, his team's dont play D

You guys should have brought Larry Brown back when you had the chance

Another guy to think about is Tom Thibodeau from Boston. He was the difference between being a team with just 3 great players to a championship team. He's the guy that draw's the Celtics D up.

Think about this:

Who shut Kobe down in the finals.

Ray Allen, who has never been any kind of defensive player

19. hermhater

hermhater Guest

You're guy's conversations kill my boner bigger than Rosi Odonell

20. mike oxlong

the real question is why are you on a football forum with a boner? I know posting is exciting for soldiers, but you need to relax, lol