Mark Teixeira Signs With The Yankees

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Mike, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth more than $170 million, two sources involved in the negotiations tell ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

SOURCE ESPN

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

There they go again. Ruining the market of every other team, since when does...

BA HR RBI OBP SLG
    .308 33 121 .410 .552

equal $21M a year??????

3. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

big signing there. noew lets see him produce out there on the field

4. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

same reason Arods #s got him $250 million

the Yankees are nuts

5. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Good point!

6. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Freaking Yankees at it again, now it'll be even sweeter if they don't win. This is why I get mad when people compare the Red Sox to the Yankees. Most of the Sox talent is homegrown or other teams castoffs.

7. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Teixeira is a great player, the Yankees are great lol.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Impossible...it was already reported that the Red Sox signed him...lol...

9. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

True but anytime you throw around $160 million offers to anybody and everybody then you'll rightfullly so get lumped in with the Yankees. As far as spending the Yanks, Sox and Dodgers are in a class by themselves. Which brings me back around to my annual rant about a hard salary cap that I won't start on here.

10. apocalypsehoboke

apocalypsehoboke Psych Ward Resident

So how many players do they have $100 million contracts with them? That is rediculous.

11. AlexOvechkin

AlexOvechkin World Champions 2008!!!

Screw you Yankees!!! You are ruining baseball!!!

And once for sure: YOU'LL NEVER, NEVER BE WORLD CHAMPIONS AGAIN!!! It doesn't matter who you sign!

12. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

That's not really true, the Tigers have a higher payroll then Boston and they sox did pay alot for Dice-K but haven't really signed any huge contracts since Ramirez (which was not under the current owners.)

13. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I know but my point was, right or wrong that anytime a big name free agent becomes available it's always "Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers" that you hear that person going to,,,,at least that's my perception.

14. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I agree they are always named, but really noone is in the same league as the team with the 4 highest contracts in all of baseball.

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Since the Yankees say it does.

16. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Screw the Yankees and Screw Baseball... it's just become ludicrous

17. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

well you cant say never.

18. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

Since Ramirez, Boston has only signed 2 $50mil + contracts...Dice K & JD Drew.
    The Tigers and Yanks were the only teams hit with the Luxury tax this year. Look where it got the Tigers....14 games under .500 and last place in their division. With the success of the Rays, it just proves money doesnt = talent. The Yanks are going to be under more pressure now than ever before to win. The Sox really dont need to sign anyone else, neither do the Rays. Dont get me wrong, another bat would be huge, and they could possibly use some outfield help with Crisp gone.

AAAAAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAAHA

19. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

$423.5 million spent on three players, thats crazy.

20. signofvictory

signofvictory Go Cubs Go!!

I'm not saying I'm a Yankee fan - I'm not. But maybe because I live in New York and I've been to Yankee games this past season, maybe I can -see- it from all sides.

If your team did horrible the season before, and the Yankees pretty much did. I mean, 13 years of going to the postseason was ended. As a team/business/whatever - you need to put yourselves in their shoes for a moment. If you're aiming to improve your team and if you have the money, why not? Sure, at a time like this we're living in, anyone who hates the Yankees (again, I am not a fan; CUBS FTW!!) will go on and talk about how they're able to spend all this money and yet -we're- hecked.

But, c'mon. Seriously. If you were in their place, you'd do it too. If not with Tex n' CC, with someone else who is on the market. Maybe even for money. If you have the money, if you need to improve, naturally you're going to pick up these guys anyway that you can. What's so bad about that? And again, I am speaking as a Cubs fan and.... personally? I'm speaking as a guy who would love to see the Yankees flop again. ;)

Just annoyed at some of these comments, cause you know, it's a business too. Put yourselves in the players shoes, too, you'd accept those contracts in a heartbeat.