Calvin Johnson...the New Barry Sanders?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by TJ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

We all know the story of Barry Sanders. The best player of his generation, forever trapped on a crapty team with no chance at a Super Bowl ring.

Well, as I was watching NFL Network yesterday, they showed the stats leaders on every category, and I noticed Calvin Johnson ended up tied in the lead of TD Catches.

I still remember the hype when he came into the league. They said he very well could be the next Jerry Rice, but since he's trapped in the worst team of the century, nobody will ever notice him, and I think it's sad.

The Cowboys traded for the wrong WR :doh:

2. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

He is immense but the way the NFL works today I don't see him sticking around if they continue to be crap.

I do think though that they will be a lot better next year and who knows what will happen after that. It all depends who they hire.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

guy helped me a fantasy championship. he'll be a 3rd wideout next year too. should be an even better season for him.

4. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

he helped me win the championship in my league as well i freaking love megatron

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

We gotta see how badly Megatron does in the playoffs before we can call him the new Sanders

6. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

doesnt matter if he wants to be here or not he has 5 years left on his deal and after that without question he will be fran and forced to sign a new long contract

7. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Difference between him and Sanders is that the Lions improved and tricked Sanders into thinking they had a chance. I think with FA Johnson will get out asap....somehow...someway...

8. Ridin Burgundy

They can't force him to do crap.

Johnson is a great pro so wouldn't be the type to sit out but I don't see the team franchising him twice because most teams come to some sort of agreement with the player that they will only do it for 1 year.
    Also say in 4 years time when hes still dominating and the Lions risk losing him for nothing there are teams that would give a hell of a lot to get a player of that quality and I doubt the Lions would say no then.

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

:yeahthat:

10. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

this is the lions remember we will fran him till he retires or signs a long term deal

and unless a team will be willing to trade 2 1st rounders + more they will never trade him

becuase as of right now he is the only marketable player we have

11. Ridin Burgundy

That will probably have changed in a few years but look what Dallas gave for Roy and what the Redskins were prepered to give for Chad. There will always be some crazy owner willing to give far too much.

12. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

...it hasnt sense barry retired

the closest big time marketable player we have had was (i know i know) Joey for the sole fact he was supposed to be the franchise and people bought into it

13. Ridin Burgundy

but you don't have a goober for a GM anymore.