Rays And Pat Burell Agree On A Two Year Deal

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by themush, Jan 5, 2009.

1. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Sources: Rays, Burrell agree to contract.

Pat Burrell is leaving the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies for the runner-up Tampa Bay Rays.

Burrell has agreed in principle to a two-year, $16 million contract with the Rays, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Monday. The deal is pending a physical.

Story

2. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

:Loco:

I wonder if he shows off his new ring to the team lol.

Good luck pat you were awesome.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Didn't see that comment coming...:icon_rolleyes:

It should be an interesting first couple of days though...

4. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Im just kidding but seriously hes was great this year for us and could help the rays alot. I actually hope they win the division cause i really hate the yankees.

5. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

Good move by the Rays. Burrell will give them another big stick.
    AL East race is going to be even tighter this year.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Thanks for helping us get a ring and good luck, Pat. :beerchug:

7. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Rays Sign Pat Burrell

The Rays, filling their need for a power hitter, are close to signing free-agent Pat Burrell to a two-year, $16 million contract, according to major-league sources.

Burrell, 32, will serve as the team's designated hitter. The Rays, nearing their payroll limit, could use some combination of Ben Zobrist, Gabe Gross and Fernando Perez in right field.

Source: Fox Sports

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Not a bad line up if you ask me....

2B A. Iwamura (L)
    CF B.J. Upton (R)
    LF C. Crawford (L)
    3B E. Longoria (R)
    1B C. Pena (L)
    DH P. Burrell (R)
    RF M. Joyce (L)
    C D. Navarro (S)
    SS J. Bartlett (R)

Can't wait for Spring Training.

9. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

bye pat. hes been a phillie since i was 8. thats half my life. it gonna be really weird not to see him in left field.

10. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

good move by the Rays right here. he is a solid players great batting stats

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Great move by the Rays to get another bat in the line up. He's right where he wants to be as a DH. Perfect fit for him.

12. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

I am loving this lineup....:clap: Looks like they're wanting to make another WS run....:drinks:

13. DawkinsINT

Oxlong holding his sign yesterday...

[​IMG]

I hope someone gets that reference....

14. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! ---------------REP!!!!!!

15. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Good luck in Tampa, Pat. You'll be missed, but you'll always be remembered here as a champion.

That said, I'm a little pissed at Amaro for jumping the gun on Ibanez when Burrell ended up having to settle for so little.

Even worse, we don't play Tampa at home this year. I was waiting on purchasing my 6-game pack so I could add PTB's return to Philadelphia as one of the games, but we only play in Tampa Bay this year. And it's not likely we'll play the Rays at all again next year (though we seem to get Boston, and at home for that matter, every single year). Hell, if he re-signs with TB after his contract expires, there's a possibility he never plays a game in Philadelphia again. I at least hope he gets to play the Mets this year. I'd hate to see his Met-killing come to an end.

I saw this during the game and still don't understand it. Was he missing a 4 or is it a reference to something?

16. DawkinsINT

I totally agree. Pat's at least as good a player that Ibanez is and has youth on his side.

I'm guessing that he was missing the "3" and it was something he put up for his wife to see on tv.

17. apocalypsehoboke

apocalypsehoboke Psych Ward Resident

good to see Tampa Bay trying to keep their team in the running after their amazing ride last year, beat those Yankee bastards!!!!

18. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Ah, okay. Thought I was missing something.

That said, the guy to his left has an awesome jacket. I'd love to know where he got it.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

now the ibanez deal makes even less sense. i was really worried about amaro taking over as GM and it didnt take long for him to get me pissed.