San Francisco Giants Offer 4 Year Deal To Manny Ramirez

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by mike oxlong, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

cbs5.com - Giants Offer Slugger Manny Ramirez 4-Year Deal

The San Francisco Giants are pursuing free-agent slugger Manny Ramirez and have offered him a four-year deal, a well-connected source told CBS 5. Financial terms of the contract offer were not immediately known. The deal was said by the source to contain incentives for the third year of the contract and a club option for the fourth.

2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I wonder what Manny will do here

3. mike oxlong

Manny will go from being one of the most love Dodgers in a long while, to one of the most hated in a matter of no time

4. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Nice find Mike. Never would have thought of the Giants pursuing him.

5. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

The Giants are already the dark horse in that division without Manny. They've got a very good rotation and a lot of young talent. Add Manny and I think they take the West.

6. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I think Manny would like to sign over there in San Fran. its a big city and he wold be the face of the franchise

7. russian.tank

russian.tank BruceAlmighty2010

Nah. Timmy is the face of our franchise. It's just that if we get Manny, then we would be clear cut favorites. Plus we have a better ballpark, and even if Manny stays in LA, then the Giants would still be considered favs, because the Dodgers don't have pitching with Penny and Lowe gone.

8. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

I thought the Giants were trying to get younger?
    Guess having Manny hitting cleanup for your team....who cares?
    Good move by the Giants.

9. russian.tank

Its not official yet...

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

:doh:

I'm cool with the idea of bringing in Manny, but 4 years? For a 36 year old guy who plays when he feels like it, and even then is a defensive liability? It better be structured so we can drop him in 2 without too much of a hit.
    We still need another legit bat to hit ahead/behind him as well, IMo. Luckily we play in the craptiest division in the league.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I heard on local radio today that the Manny to the Giants rumor was basically just Boras talking out his butt and trying to get people running to the bank to sign him before the Giants swoop him up, while the Giants have no interest whatsoever in him and have not in fact even made an offer.

12. russian.tank

Meh. The Giants should invest their money elsewhere. I don't mind a Lewis, Wynn, Rowand outfield. Rowand needs to get out of that slump though. What we do need, is a corner infielder. I would get Crede for almost min salary, but offer more money through performance bonuses.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I don't think Rowand slumped as much as the park itself killed him. He went from one of the most hitter-friendly parks in the league to perhaps the least, and suffered as a result. AT&T needs a BIG bat to get power numbers in it, and Rowand is one of those marginal power guys that just doesn't have the tools to thrive and put up good numbers here. He'll always be a good hitter, but he's not going to be a high-20's HR hitter here like he was in Philly.
    He did strike out a lot though.

14. russian.tank

Remember that Rowand did hit over .300 until a week before the All-Star Break. So, I don't know, but I hope he can recover.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

on a related note - who here would pay to see scott boras vs drew rosenhaus in a game of russian roulette - winner gets to live the rest of his days as a facilities technician at taco bell.

16. mike oxlong

*raises hand

17. Daddy Primetime42

Daddy Primetime42 TheNationWillRiseAgain

Oh we have pitching, we are not going to miss penny, he sucked last season so good riddance to him. l Losing Lowe is not that big of a deal he was good most of the time but not over powering. We Do need a Pitcher but our pitching staff is good enough to take the west without manny next to the phillies the dodgers relief pitchers were great last season. we have young pitching staff next season but I expect great things from Kershaw and Billingsley. Believe me You Need Manny To win the west. So keep dreaming :sleepy2:

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Lol, there's honestly and objectively not a team in the league that can match our starting rotation if they all stay healthy. Lincecum/Johnson/Cain/Sanchez and Lowry (if he's back and healthy) or Zito (bleh) is easily the best rotation in the league. We are 3-4 deep with guys who would be ones on a lot if not the majority of other teams.
    The bullpen is another story...we've got a nasty closer, but as for setup and long relievers, well...
    I'm hoping Zito gets moved to the pen, becoming the most expensive bullpen guy in the league. Or shot, but whatever. He can only throw 5-6 innings on a good day anyway, just put him in the pen and let him throw 2 or 3 every few days. He'd be perfect for that.

19. lostfan

lostfan Starter

He never did anything like that when he played for the sox. He hit some highs at exactly the right time and cashed in, what you see is probably what you get. Always loved him as a player but never for that contract he has under any circumstances, he's just not that kind of player.

20. russian.tank

We did sign two relievers which will improve, and I liked what I saw out Romo and the other young relievers last year. Once we get a good power hitting corner infielder, we should be set.

Keep dreaming the Giants will be a pushover this year. That is what the Padres, Rockies and D'Backs are for.