Jeff Backus Slated To Be Lions Opening Day Left Tackle

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by mike oxlong, May 11, 2009.

1. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Predraft rumblings of the Lions possibly selecting an offensive tackle in the first round put veteran left tackle Jeff Backus' status in question. Would he keep his job or move to guard? Backus' job appeared to gain a measure of security when the Lions didn't draft an offensive lineman until the seventh round, when they chose tackle Lydon Murtha of Nebraska. "As far as I know, I'm a left tackle," Backus said recently. "We didn't draft a left tackle high so I'd assume ... I have no reason to believe I'm not going to be playing left tackle."

Source: Detroit Free Press

2. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

I was kinda suprised when they didnt take Oher at 20, after that i was even more suprised when they didnt take a tackle later in the draft, maybe they are comfortable with what they have.

3. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

isnt lydon murtha a tackle?

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yes, murtha is a tackle but it would be pretty amazing if he was able to start right away. yes, i think everyone was a little surprised that the lions didn't draft a security guard at #20 for the blindside of their #1 draft pick. But, I guess if Pettigrew ends up being the next Tony Gonzalez like some experts think, then we won't question it 10 years from now.

5. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

murtha is a project