Donte Stallworth Could Avoid DUI Manslaughter Charge

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by MediaGuy, May 21, 2009.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth(notes) could avoid a DUI manslaughter conviction from the March 14 accident that killed a Miami man even if he is found to have been impaired while driving, according to two NFL sources and two Florida-based attorneys. Stallworth, who is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, may still have to serve time in jail and reach a civil settlement with the family of Mario Reyes, who was killed when Stallworth hit him in the early morning hours of March 14. However, Stallworth's jail time could be only a matter of two or three months rather than the possibility of up to 15 years in prison under state law, two NFL sources said this week.

Source: Yahoo Sports.com

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

he is soooooo lucky he didnt kill a dog.

3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

You so beat me too it...

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

haaa - isnt it hecked up how vick was buried and yet leonard little walked and was back in the league the following year and stallworth will probably walk as well ? not that vick doesnt deserve what he's getting but c'mon, these two killed people. and dont giove me that defenseless bullcrap either because how were the victims of little and stalworth defenseless ? how the heck do you defend yourself against a two ton projectile ?

5. skinsfan1

skinsfan1 BANNED

what a crock of crap...another show of treating athelets above the rest of us...makes me sick

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Had the poor guy lived he probably would have gotten 6 months for jaywalking resulting in an accident and a civil suit from Stallworth for emotional distress and scratching his freaking Bentley.

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Must be nice to have a crap load of money.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

this is bullcrap.

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Yeah lots of bullcrap right here.

WTF?

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

:rollinglaugh: Rep.

It will be interesting to see how the judge handles this possible loophole.

11. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Pedestrian Error is what it is called.

12. DawkinsINT

13. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

That is way messed up. he better not end up back in the NFL

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I agree 100%!

15. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

He most likley will.

16. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

Moral of the story - pay attention and watch what the heck you are doing if you want to cross a street.

17. DawkinsINT

I know it's not your intention to make it seem like dogs are valued more than humans, but some people actually think that is the case on face value of the penalties handed down.

It has to do with the laws they are charged of breaking, what they get convicted of, where they broke them and the penalties of that jurisdiction, etc..

Vick knowingly broke many laws on many occasions and knew that death to dogs was going to be part of his actions. I don't think that either Little or Stallworth knew anyone was going to die when their stupidity occurred. The actions of all 3 are awful, but there is a lot more to it than just who died.

If this loophole doesn't work for Stallworth, he's going to face a much stiffer penalty than Vick did.

It's all about the law.

18. Androidraider24

Androidraider24 Team Veteran

If he pays out the family and they are ok with it then he should be able to walk.

19. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

that's crazy, I wonder if these guys realize how good they have it... To do something like this, and basically serve less than a year?

20. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

But usually non drunken drivers pump the break instead of flashing the lights. Of course the killed guy made a mistake and this should be a plus for Stallworth, but let him come away this easy is BS