William Clay Ford Admits Matt Millen Was Not Ready To Be A GM

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by MediaGuy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Talking for the first time since he fired general manager Matt Millen, Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford admitted that Millen probably didn't have the experience to be a successful general manager -- and also said that former head coach Rod Marinelli probably wasn't ready either. Millen didn't have any front office experience before arriving in Detroit and Marinelli was a first-time head coach. "That's a friend of mine and always will be,'' Ford said of Millen. "He has a lot of wonderful qualities, it didn't work out and we parted ways. It's history." On why it didn't work out, Ford said, "You can answer that probably as well as I can. It just wasn't going right.''

Source: Detroit Free Press

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

This guy is pushing Al Davis and JJ as most senile and craziest Owners.

3. Puggs

Puggs Special Teamer

QFT.... while I appreciate him coming outta the closet with his Millen blunder, it doesn't mean any of us Lions fans will ever forgive him.........ever

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

It took Ford 7 years to realize this?

5. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Thank you...

[​IMG]

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

JUUUUUSSSSTTT AAAA LLLLLLIIIITTTTTLLLLLLLEEEE SSSSLLLLLOOOOOOOWWW.

7. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

Just about to post that.

8. DaBearsrule4ever

Yeah, it should have taken Ford a year or two, three at the most to realize that Matt Millen shouldn't be an NFL GM.

9. The Manster

The Manster 1st Stringer

I understand that he wanted to give Millen a chance and so that is why he got seven years. The fact that he was even thought of as a GM is scary, what did he every do to make anyone go "Hey he could run a whole team."

10. davematthews3

davematthews3 1st Stringer

back to back to back first round WR's should have been the clue.

11. DaBearsrule4ever

Seven years and NOT ONE .500 season for the Lions?

12. The Manster

The Manster 1st Stringer

I am sure he kept saying it can not get any worse. I am not saying he was right to give him seven year after 4 years I think that the Fords were the only ones that did not see it as a bad move. Maybe they were hoping for a Fed to help them out with the team also.

That being said giving him seven years is not easier for me to understand than hiring him in the first place.

13. Puggs

Puggs Special Teamer

The icing on the cake with Millen as a Lions fan was after he was fired for such a horrible job (and finally), His punk butt was on the SuperBowl broadcast.........I mean Really???? I was horrified

14. lionheart?

lionheart? StafFORD=Franchise

Fords problem is he is too loyal and hires his friends instead of compitent, qualified people, so when it doesnt work out he lets them hang around long enough for lions fans to contiplate suicide.