WDIS: Week 1 Fantasy "Who Do I Start?" Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by wide right, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

For the sheer fact that He is no longer the red zone or short yardage RB. Right now, it's chris brown, and because Kubiak is willing to hand that role to Brown, if Brown were to get hurt, then I just don't think that he will just give it back to slaton. He wants to keep slaton from getting pounded in short yardage and goalline, thus reducing Slaton's value significantly, imo. Most of slaton's TDs last year were short yardage and/or in the red zone.

2. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Jackson is likely to be covered by Asomugha though which is a tough matchup. Rice has the best match up in my mind. Not that I'd like to see him have much success this weekend.

3. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Makes sense...I guess we'll see how that pans out over time.

4. mike oxlong

I think Vincent is going to be covered by asomugha, which immediately lowers his value. I think that Gates is going to be the big receiver for SD this week. Then combine that with Seattle putting Trufant on the PUP, opens up a nice matchup for Avery. I would go with Avery, but I always say go with your gut.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd rank then Rice, Barber, Slaton for this week. The Ravens should kill the Chiefs...the only hesitation I have with Ray Rice is that the Ravens didn't really do well running the ball in the preseason. I think Rice went 80 something for about 25 carries? THe Chiefs actually did fairly well defensing the run in the preseason. But it's just that, the preseason. WHich is why I think Rice will still perform. He may lose the goal line carries in this game to McClain...

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I would stay away from Avery. Bulger played 7 plays in the preseason and was sacked on 3. He may not have enough time to throw the ball. Seattle's pass defense is horrendous, but their pass rush is decent and LB's are pretty good. I like Vincent Jackson a little better here. Last season, Jackson went for almost 150 yards against Asomugha and one of those receptions was a 59 yard TD. Asomugha could use that as motivation...Jackson could build on the confidence. The Chargers are a better team than the Rams, a better QB and better offense. Their all around production versus the Raiders should be better than the Rams overall production against the Seahawks...I'd go Jackson...

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Ray Rice...I just like the match up he's got. He could lose carries to McGahee and McLain around the goal line...which hurts. Maybe not...

Last year Roethlisberger threw for 330 against the Titans. I think Ward went for close to (if not over) 100. He scored a TD as well. If you think he'll come close to that production go with him.

Same with Jackson. He went for 150 and a TD against Nnamdi last year...

8. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

lol...so you're about as decisive as me on this one huh ward??

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd go Ray Rice no doubt because of the match up. I'd take my chance that he doesn't lose too many carries.

But if you think Ward or Jackson can duplicate last years performance, then go with one of them. I don't know if they'll duplicate it.

10. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

Rice is actually who I'm going with, just wanted input here...I do think Vincent Jackson will be a beast this year though

11. mike oxlong

I do see your points and they are good ones, I just see that the Chargers being better team means more running late in the game. Bulger is a veteran. He knows the seahawks well. That team will be passing more and Avery is the guy who will be catching all the ball and catching a lot of them.

12. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

This is really a toss up, as ox says, go with your gut. Jackson has a better situation with his team but Avery has the better match up.

13. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Thanks guys. My gut says Jackson. I didn't draft him to bench him so we will see. All opinions are appreciated.

14. MastuRaider

MastuRaider Special Teamer

PPR, 1pt per 10yds yardage bonus at 100 combined yds and each 50yds after that.

WRs are Megatron and Braylon or Avery.

RBs are Rice, K.Smith, Grant, F.Jackson.

2RB and 2WR no flex.

Thanks for the help fellas. I have to do well in Fantasy land cus the Raider reality show is killin me.

15. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

calvin, braylon, rice, smith

braylon as the #2wr because its likely they will lose and he will get garbage time catches anyway.

rice and smith are just a hunch

16. Wacko4Flacco

Wacko4Flacco Prima Ballerina

I would go with Calvin Johnson & Avery at WR and Rice and Grant at RB.

17. VikingsFan28

VikingsFan28 Wherever Alex Morgan is

I would have Kevin smith and Grant at RB

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Calvin Johnson is a must start every week! Never bench your start players... As for the other, see the desriptions on Avery in the earlier posts. Edwards could be a good start against the Vikings...any production they get will probably come from the pbutt...I'd go Edwards and Johnson for the 2WR.

For the 2 RB I'd definitely go Rice and flip a coin with K. Smith and Grant. Grant could have a crap match up against the Bears, but the Packers looked damn good during the preseason. Matchups alone I gotta say Smith...but he's on the Lions...and you don't want to depend on two Lions players do you?

19. Wacko4Flacco

Wacko4Flacco Prima Ballerina

The reason I say go with Avery over Braylon is because the Vikings Defense is pretty strong. Grant & K Smith are a toss up, but I like the fact that maybe the Packers may be in the lead in there game and will run more down the stretch then K Smith and Detroit.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The weakest part of the Vikings D is there pass coverage. The Browns shouldn't be able to run on the Vikes...so Edwards has that going for them and they'll probably trail most of the game...