49ers To Let FS Mark Roman Test Free Agency?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Feb 8, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

49ers FS Mark Roman lost his starting job this past year but he still saw a significant amount of playing time when the 49ers went with extra defensive backs, finishing with an interception and recovering three fumbles. The coaches have always liked him because he was "assignment sound" but it's time to let some of the younger players take over. He'll be allowed to test the free-agent market.

Source: Press Democrat

2. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Ravens should take a look at him if Reed retires.

3. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Everyone is SF seems to hate this guy to death but he isnt really that bad of a saftey.

4. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

He has been consistently bad, but has shown some improvement this year. Still, no loss at all though.

5. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

Mark Roman is the worst starting safety in all of football. yes that includes peewee:icon_evil:

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

you can have him. he is a scrub

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Lol every Niner fan I know despises this guy...he could have killed their dog and be less hated. Every game I've seen he's been fairly invisible, but not exactly a liability. They could certainly use an upgrade but I've never understood the outright hatred.

7. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

LOL. I watched that game and that replay many times, and no he couldn't have. He was draped all over Lewis and Lewis straight up made one of the most amazing catches I've seen in recent memory outside of Holmes in the Super Bowl. His coverage honestly could not have been any better on that play. It was a straight up miracle. If you want to blame any SF players on that play (which you can't really justify doing), blame Goldson for covering the other side of the endzone when there was nobody within 30 yards of him. Greg Lewis was the only Viking within 10 yards of the endzone and the Niners had ONE MAN on that side of the field deep. Blame your DC for such crapty playcalling on what HAD to be a hail mary into the endzone but you can't blame Roman if you have any common sense at all. I understand how much that sucked for Niner fans but you gotta realize that was just a one in a million play. Run that again 10 more times with the same coverage and I'd bet everything I own that 10/10 that pass is incomplete. Either Farve botches the throw, Lewis drops it, or he comes down out of bounds. Period. That is an absolutely unrepeatable play.

9. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Ya i agree....im sorry yes he may have been another 10 inches to the left but he was right there. That was one of the most amazing catches AND he stayed in bounds. Farve put that ball where only the wr could get it. What about the play calling, like calling 3 runs in a row and having to punt leaving minn with plenty of time? What about Manny Lawson getting to farve half a second too late? If you look at some of the older niner games when he was starting, we had ZERO pass rush and still he was ok. Now im not trying to be like he should start or hes a good saftey but for some reason people seem to think hes the worst saftey in the world and want to see him die of aids. Besides hes a tough guy and a big hitter and very good in run support. I think he makes a pretty good 3rd saftey for us and wouldn mind seein hmi back in that role.

10. Fricker 4

Fricker 4 Crabtree fall to 10

either way if you see Roman a few seconds before that pass came in, he had the Jump on Greg lewis, He he clearly just blew coverage at the end of the play, and not just that but instead of waving his hands in the air like a freakin goober, he could have just gave greg a nudge and that would have prevented him from getting both feet down. But ya this guy is trash, take him from us now please!!

Its not just this game he has had problems, all year long this guy has been nothing but invisibily bad. Might as well play with 10 guys on the field then play with 11 when that 11th guy doesnt not how to pass defend.