Bears, DE Julius Peppers Finalize A Six-Year Contract

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 5, 2010.

1. The Bears and Julius Peppers finalized a six-year deal to bring the top free agent in 2010 to Chicago, according to a source. Peppers was looking for at least $12 million a year in the early part of the contract and agreement could be worth $40 million over the first three years. The 6-foot-7, 283-pound Peppers is a five-time Pro Bowler who recorded 10.5 sacks with two interceptions and five forced fumbles last season.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Sweet... Great day to be a Bears fan.:icon_cheesygrin:

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Can't get too excited since the Bears history is to do 1 big splash, if anything, then sit on their laurels while acting like the job is done.

Just enough to keep Bear fans hoping...:icon_rolleyes:

4. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Welcome aboard!! happytiphatpepsi

5. Skeeve

Skeeve 1st Stringer

Well so far they have addressed multiple areas already today so hopefully they are planning to take advantage of free agency to cover for the lack of early draft picks.

6. Tarkus

Maybe I've missed a new headline but Peppers is a good pickup, Taylor an upgrade but not worth the money with all the other critical needs, & Manumaleuna a non issue.

There's gonna need to be more impressive moves before I'll take notice.

7. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

And buying tickets and gear.

8. Tarkus

Exactly...

It's a bean counter mentality in Chicago, first & foremost.

9. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

glad he's out of the nfc south

10. JASON4RMLA

JASON4RMLA Go Kings!!

...... I think I just NUTTED!! LMAO!!
    WOW!

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

That's a lot of jack...

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's a bad butt pass rush...

13. I knew Peppers was seeking Haynesworth money. Similar to how it'll pay out annually, just one less year. The Bears are early and likely winners of this years free agency clbutt. Snagging Pep and Taylor. Congrats Bears fans!

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

TMI

15. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Peppers in 2004 was worth this type of money, when he was chasing around vick, and picking off passes and just playing like an athlete we'd never seen in a long time at the defensive end position. Just a much different player now. and not worth this type of money. Terrible signing no matter which way you look at this. Whether the contract is backloaded or front loaded it's just dumb. That being said I'm happy he's not in the NFC East.

16. Tarkus

^^This^^

Sure, it's a definite plus even when he's taking time plays off but, like Roy said, no matter how the deal is structured, it puts a kink in our air hose for aggressively chasing other critical needs.

The Bears aren't the Redskins. They reach a certain $$$ amount regardless that it wasn't smart spending & call it a day. Then we'll hear the usual Halas Hall propaganda of how we've got a bunch of young talent ready to step up i.e. OL, WR, FS, CB. (*see 2009...Hell, see quite a few years in the past*)

Besides, they did it to themselves. They're over spending now cuz they ignored those needs before, have no draft picks to speak of (not that they'd know what to do with them), Angelo & Smith's jobs are on the line & every agent on the planet knows it.

What goes around, comes around....