Florida LB Brandon Spikes Discusses Eye Gouging Incident To NFL Teams

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Former Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes faced an obvious question from potential employers at the NFL Combine. "Why did you try to gouge a player's eyes out?" The player, of course, was Georgia freshman running back Washaun Ealey, and Spikes' answer to the NFL teams that asked the question? "I told them it's the SEC, Florida-Georgia is a big rivalry," Spikes said, according to the Gainesville Sun. "There were a lot of emotions going on. Both sides were taking shots at each other. But that's why I suspended myself. That's not the way the game is supposed to be played." Spikes was suspended for one half of the following game by Florida coach Urban Meyer, and the player extended his own suspension to a full game because, he said at the Combine, "I didn't want young guys to think that was the right way to play the game."

Source: Atlanta Journal-Consitution

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I never realized he suspended himself for a game.

I wonder who told him to do that?

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Meh solid canned response. Said what needed to be said.

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

But do you really think that he suspended himself without someone telling him to do it?

5. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

nice bs, i respect it

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Hell no.

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

:icon_cool:

8. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Urban Meyer told the press that he was suspended for half a game then Spikes stepped forward and suspended himself for the whole game. So yeah, if the coach didn't tell him I'd say he did it himself.

9. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

I've never heard of a half-game suspension.

10. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

It's certainly possible that he could have regretted what he did in the heat of the moment and punished himself more as a good gesture, isn't it? I'm not going to damn the kid for one incident. Sure it's canned, it's an interview, but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he's saying. Sounds like what I'd say and feel if I did some crap like that.

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Fact: He was suspended for the first half of the Vandy game.

Fact: He suspended himself for the second half as well.

Spikes takes himself out of Vandy game

Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes made a 19-second statement to reporters in Gainesville on Wednesday night, announcing he will effectively suspend himself for the entire Vanderbilt game for his attempted eye gouge of a Georgia player.

"I really don't want to be a distraction to the team," Spikes said. "I want the guys to prepare without any negative things going on. I feel like if I would play, it would be a big thing. I'm just trying to stay out of the way and just motivate the guys. I'm pretty sure Stamper's my back and my teammates really support me on this decision."

Florida coach Urban Meyer said Spikes approached he and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong Tuesday night and they made a collective decision. "We support Brandon fully," Meyer said

Florida's Brandon Spikes suspended himself for the entire game vs. Vanderbilt - ESPN

12. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

Actually, while this may be true, Spikes' self-suspension didn't come until after an absolute crap storm from the media and fans over Meyer's initial sac-less disciplinary action.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

You would think he already had an NY logo on his helmet.

14. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Forcibly poking seems to fit more with yellow.

2 people like this.
  15. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

well played