Saints To Draft TE Jeremy Shockey's Eventual Successor?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Some expect the Saints to select an outside linebacker, defensive end or defensive tackle with the 32nd pick in the first round of the draft April 22, but while the team has needs at each of those positions, it has taken a best-player-available approach in the past, so team observers say plucking an offensive player can't be ruled out and sources said tight end could be a spot the team addresses at some point in the draft, perhaps as early as the first round. Jeremy Shockey is signed through the 2011 season, but he'll turn 30 in August, has been prone to injuries throughout his career and missed seven games in his two seasons with New Orleans because of injuries while being limited in many others because of nagging ailments. The Saints have solid depth behind Shockey at tight end, but it's made up of role players and they lack a young, versatile threat who could allow head coach Sean Payton to expand his playbook further, so it's not too early for Payton to find a player he can develop into an eventual replacement for Shockey.

Source:
    Pro Football Weekly

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Shockey is a freaking animal that will eat it's young.

God help any TE the Saints draft.

3. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Not sure why they would draft more TE's. Unless they plan on trading him

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Saints are in a position right now to draft the best player available and I'm sure that's what they'll wind up doing.

5. leeman

leeman Team Veteran

Shockey is frequently hurt. In fact, the Saints have been going through a lot of tight ends. TE is not a need position, but if a good TE fell into their lap, they might very well draft him.

I would rather they draft a DE or a OLB, but you can't just draft because of need. You have to get the best player.

6. rebelwr88

rebelwr88 Rookie

Shockey is injury prone and aging, and Thomas is not much more than a slot receiver. I think they could use another one, just not first round

7. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Thomas has never gotten his chance to shine. Play him for a full season and I guarantee he would be great. Kid had the best hands I've ever seen for a TE while playing for Texas.

8. I hear Michael Lombardi says that University of Miami (FL) TE Jimmy Graham could be taken in the bottom of first round. He notes Graham's rise based on his size, athletic skills and his potential to keep improving.

Graham is in the mold of Antonio Gates, a power forward with great balance and overall athletic skills.

Graham I believe would be an inciting option for New Orleans as Shockey's eventual successor. But Graham is too raw of a prospect to be taken in the first imo, he only had one year experience at the college level and just started one game.

He did have five touchdowns and averaged 12.7 yards per catch but had just 17 receptions for 213 yards. He still some ways away from being a polished player but I see him go as high as the second round based on his potential.