Browns RB Peyton Hillis Lining Up All Over The Field At OTA's

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, May 31, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Browns running back Peyton Hillis is out to prove he's the gem of the Brady Quinn trade and not the one-year wonder some folks in Denver thought he was. "I want to show the coaches they got a big steal," Hillis said during organized team activities last week. "That's just the way I think and work. I feel like I can do just about anything really well, whether it's running or blocking or catching the ball out of the backfield." During OTAs last week, Hillis made some nice catches out of the backfield and lined up at multiple positions, showing the versatility that Mangini loves. He'll compete for playing time with Jerome Harrison, rookie Montario Hardesty, Lawrence Vickers, James Davis and Chris Jennings. "He catches the ball well, he's 245 pounds and he's a really physical runner," Mangini said shortly after Hillis arrived. "He's tough with the football in his hands, and he can play tailback and fullback. You can mix him in a lot of different places. He's also played on special teams."

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I really hope he does well.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

DON'T call him a fullback...

4. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

So....not really all over the field then. Just in the backfield. Woop.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i think more and more teams are realizing that they need some flexibility in their running backs instead of being a 'one-task' type of player. this is not a vince lombardi era of 3 yards and a cloud of dust where the full back's job was simply to lead block through the 3 hole to push back the LB an extra yard for the tailback. offensive play schemes are much more complex. tailbacks may be going in motion or lining up in the slot and they need that fullback to slide back in a one back formation and be able to morph into the tailback in an instant. In addition, more and more teams are realizing that because of injuries/tired legs, a 2 or 3 back rotation system is more successful so they need many guys who can fill in at a moments notice.

1 person likes this.
  6. HateSteel

HateSteel Stray Dawg

This guy can not only run, and catch, but push the defender. 2 seasons ago under Shanahan I watched him meet Camerion Wimbley head to head at a dead run, and truck him for 9 yds. and a first down. Can you say BEAST boys, and girls?

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...puhleeze.

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Wimbley is soft..