Is Ray Lewis A Top 5 MLB?

Discussion in 'Baltimore Ravens' started by ravenfan52, Jun 17, 2010.

?

Is Ray Lewis a top-five MLB in the NFL right now?

1. Yes

26.1%
  2. No

73.9%
  1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

In your opinion, is Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, right now, one of the five best middle linebackers in the National Football League? I say yes. Lewis, Patrick Willis, and DeMeco Ryans are the top three in my opinion, respectively, followed by Jon Beason and London Fletcher, respectively. What do you think?

2. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

I think London fletcher is even less of a top 5 ilb than Lewis.....

you could go either way with Lewis

1. Willis
    2. Ryans
    3. Beason
    4-5 is between Vilma, Harris, Lewis

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Willis, Ryans, Beason, Harris, Ruud are all better than Lewis at this point imo. He's still good for that team though...

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

top 5 all time yes, top 5 current no

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

excluding dansby and mayo is just wrong

5. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Nah, not at this stage of his career. But he brings leadership and a mentality of the game that helps make those around him better football players.

6. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

I can't think of any reason to say he isn't - he's just off a pro bowl season and with Cody & Ngata in front of him next season there's no reason to believe he won't have another big year. And then there are the intangibles...

7. K Train

pro bowl lol....hes a HUGE name. if rod butkus was still playing hed make pro bowls too

8. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

He might be.....a top five 3-4 ILB!

He doesn't even compare to some of the 4-3 guys though. 3-4 ILBs are asked to do a lot less than other linebackers which makes them look better than they actually are. Some of them (Harris, Willis, Mayo) could play MLB, but not Ray. He lacks the speed, agility and explosiveness at this stage of his career.

So no, he is not a top 5 MLB. He might be a top 5 3-4 ILB though. (I don't think he is - Willis, Harris, Mayo, Dansby are all better)

9. ravenfan52

When Suggs lines up as a DE - which is often - Ray is a 4-3 MLB, With Johnson and Ellerbe/Gooden/Ayanbadejo on the outside. Personally, I don't think it really matters. Every team, whether they are primarily a 3-4 or a 4-3, has several different formations. Putting positions aside, just watching them play and seeing the plays they make, I think he definitely is top-five. Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you watch him play I think it's obvious.

Fans only account for 1/3 of the votes.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah and a guys name accounts for the other 2/3.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

And no, he's not top-5. He's not far out, but he's not the HOF caliber player he has been in the past.

11. ravenfan52

Players and coaches are the other 2/3.

12. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

It was sarcasm.

And no, he isn't. Too old, not as good as he once was. Not to say he's bad now, just there are others that are obviously better.

13. K Train

they run a base 34 even if suggs snitches about his franchise tag that said OLb and not DE

14. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Why do you guys feed the troll?

15. ravenfan52

Mattison said in August that the defense is more of a 4-3.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Over 80% of the people (considering KTrain is too cool to actually vote :wink: ) answer your question NO...

17. ravenfan52

Well, GIF has spoken.

(but, they're wrong anyway :icon_cheesygrin:)

18. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I say until he stops producing, then he has to be in the top 5. Go look at the tape, only willis was better against the run for any ILB period and that's at 35. honestly, it depends on the system, but in a 3-4 only Willis is better right now. I can't believe that I actually agree with RF52 on something.

1 person likes this.
  19. K Train

david harris is a phenom against the run.

farrior was once a top 5 34 MLB too....he and lewis both have lost several steps

20. ravenfan52

There's no comparison with Farrior and Lewis. Not even close.