49ers Rookie FS Taylor Mays Challenging For A Starting Spot

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

49ers rookie S Taylor Mays, a second-round pick out of Southern Cal, has made an instant impact in spring practices and could well take a starting job in training camp. Mays is big and fast and has proved to be a gym rat in his little time with the Niners, constantly quizzing the coaches about alignments and schemes and responsibilities. "He's a breath of fresh air in terms of his work ethic and his mindset," 49ers coach Mike Singletary told Comcast Sports. "That's all Taylor Mays. We're not saying, 'Hey, come over here with us.' That's on him. But that's his personality. I knew that before we drafted him. I had a chance to talk to a number of different people about him, and they all talked about his work ethic. So it's nice to see that it's following through."

Source: SportingNews.com

2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

good for him, i would have really liked him in the second round...i would have blown up a childrens hospital in the first though

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Exactly. Didnt like him at all as a prospect, altho IMO as a CF type FS he wouldnt have been a liability

The dude has unreal physical potential. If he is where he should be, and thats constantly up the coach's ass, then his game should come along.

I wonder if there was a coaching issue in the secondary at USC. To my knowledge Terrel Thomas is the only quality pro DB to come through USC

4. K Train

uhhh polamalu?

5. Jihad Joe

I was thinking recently

6. K Train

well youre kinda right i mean for all the pro DL and LBs they crank out their DBs seem to be average at best

7. Jihad Joe

Seriously the only recent guys I can think of recently are Thomas, Bing and Ellison. Bing was a failure, and Ellison was never that great a prospect

8. K Train

i think they have a decent corner prospect there now though, i forget his name

9. reigningblkngold

reigningblkngold Minister of defense

Good for him I also would of love to seen him in blk n gold.