Lions GM Praises QB Matthew Stafford's Improvement

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by SRW, Jul 18, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was praised often as a rookie last season for a big arm and football intelligence. But Stafford's second year will be his first full season with the team, with a full complement of off-season preparation. General manager Martin Mayhew said he already has been able to see the difference in Stafford this year. "I think he lost some of that newness and that rookie (aspect) and that sort of everything was new to him," Mayhew said during last month's minicamp. "I think he's becoming a veteran and a pro. I think he's communicating with the receivers more. I think that's big. And he's developing a good rapport with Calvin (Johnson), which is important." Besides improving the chemistry with his No. 1 receiver, Stafford also is getting more help around him with new players like receiver Nate Burleson, running back Jahvid Best and tight end Tony Scheffler. And that has helped give Stafford more options and made him feel more comfortable. "Yeah, I think so," he said. "Not only being in the system for another year, but having guys around that can really make plays lets us open up the playbook, do a little bit more. I think everyone's getting comfortable with each other."

Source: Detroit Free Press

2. Puggs

Puggs Special Teamer

Mmmmmm this Kool-Aid is tasting better and better..........

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

4. Puggs

Puggs Special Teamer

That's a good one, unfortunately I had high hopes on him even though I'm a Wolverine I thought Stanton would do well in the Pro's