Steelers DE Ziggy Hood Continues To Draw Praise From Teammates

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Aug 4, 2010.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Defensive end Ziggy Hood, the No. 1 pick year ago, has been impressing his teammates with his performance at training camp. Hampton called him maybe the strongest player on the team. Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu said he could start on any other team. "Ziggy's a big strong guy," Hampton said. "He's a different type of animal. Ziggy can play anywhere on the line he wants to." Hampton was asked if Hood, who is listed at 6 feet 3, 300 pounds, is stronger than him. "I got that old-man strength," said Hampton, 32. "I don't really lift too many weights. He got that weight-room strength. He's strong."

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I think K Train is getting nervous :ttw:.

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

why the heck would i get nervous? because i hated the pick and still do? because i think hes a pass rushing 43 UT more than a 34 DE? even if he turns out to be a stud he will never reach full potential in our defense. i never once said he was a bad player, but i maintain he is a bad fit and there were better options at the time. at least hes not a failure like urbik, summers and shipley

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

5. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

ktrain backpeddling

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I have a feeling that K Train will be submitting a name change request to Ziggy Stardust by 2012

7. K Train

not exactly....look back, i have always said it was an awful pick that pissed me off beyond belief, but ive also always said hes not a bad player and id be thrilled to have him if the steelers were the colts or some other team like that. trust me i still hate him in a 34

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

but with urbik and summers and randle el all on the roster still/again my hate for hood has taken a backseat. he wont see the field much this year again except on third down no matter how many one on one drills he wins in practice

8. K Train

id like to point out that so far in the preseason he has not been nearly as dominant as camp reports indicated. he looks more like a one on one drill training camp hero because he doesnt really make any noise on game day.

i know hes not gonna be big numbers, but you can tell when a 34DE is effective and hood has not really been when hes on the field

9. blkngldbabe

blkngldbabe Come Get Some!

Ya, they never show any 4-3 fronts or such. All plays come out of the 3-4.:icon_rolleyes:

10. K Train

uhhhh ok? hes still been ineffective in 2 games regardless of where hes been lining up

11. blkngldbabe

blkngldbabe Come Get Some!

Ineffective? Are you talking about in Pre-season VAnilla D games? I'm sure that's a huge testament as to how he's going to look this year. Carry on.

12. K Train

yeah thats exactly what im talking about....aaron smith was perfect and im sure he didnt give his all to be that perfect. hood is battling for playing time and was on the field quite a bit. i wouldnt really expect you to actually take the time to watch how players that arent scoring TDs do but i have been focused on pouncey on offense and hood and gibson on defense. pouncey has molested the competition, meanwhile hood has been blown off the ball an awful lot (just like last season) by backup players when the reports from training camp have everyone riding his rod into the sunset saying hes been the most dominating unblockable thing out there. just when i was starting to buy into it and bite the bullet on my IMMENSE hate for the evander hood selection, he goes 2 games of disappointing on a pretty big level making little to no impact. and no im not looking for flashy numbers or pass rushing moves, im seeing if hes doing what hes supposed to do and so far hes not, he looks lost and overwhelmed most of the time which depite it only being preseason is a little less than promising

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

a "vanilla" d is probably the best way to evaluate dlinemen...they dont have to do much, just take care of their assignment.

13. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

IMO, if they are usuing him to rush the passer as a 3-4 DE, then they are using him wrong.

He could do alot of damage as a sub NT, playing a Jay Ratliff style. He has that ability. But to rush the passer as a 5 Tech, you usually want a taller, leaner guy. About 6'5, 290ish

If Tomlin wants to alter the scheme to more of a Baltimore/New England hybrid, then Hood i a very, very key player

14. K Train

thats all well and good, i thought he could be effective in that role, but they are trying to make him aaron smith and hes not. he could actually be very disruptive from the NT spot, he wont be a clog like hampton but he could generate some push.

honestly he seems so worthless when 2 guys get a hand on him, thats probably why he abusively threw down any lineman in one on ones, but 2 guys just take him out of the play....having him play over center might be his best best, especially since hes almost a pure interior pass rusher