Steelers QB Charlie Batch Fighting For Roster Spot

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Sep 1, 2010.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Ben Roethlisberger will be behind center once his suspension is over - the Steelers know that much. They also know that either Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon will fill in for him during the interim. But who hasn't really figured into the quarterback derby just might be the guy who is the most qualified - Charlie Batch. Batch has shown that he has been able to shine when called on for spot starts, and he proved against Denver on Sunday that he isn't quite ready to be put out to pasture. "And he is really not getting that much opportunity," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "The opportunity he has gotten, he has taken full advantage of it. When Charlie gets out on the field, we know what to expect from Charlie."

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not much...

3. Charlie was alot better than Dixon and Leftwich on Sunday

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's not saying much...

5. exactly. My point being i think batch should make the team over Leftwich.

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

It's not happening, He'll be lucky to start the season with us we have too many roster needs to keep 3 quarterbacks. If we did he would be cut as soon as Ben's suspension ends.

7. so why not keep batch over Leftwich?

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Leftwich is better than Batch...no question. Batch performed better in one game. Batch isn't a capable NFL QB any longer. Leftwich brings something to the table. The game against Denver wasn't a true assessment of wither QB.

Like I said earlier, if I'm Mike Tomlin, I go with a QB by committee approach for the first 4 games until Ben comes back. Use it to your advantage and make teams prepare for both guys (Dixon and Leftwich.) Figure out who has the hot hand and ride it after that.

9. Leftwich has never really been that good and neither has batch so it's really the lesser of two evils.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Leftwich is a back up. Period.

Another reason Batch shouldn't be on the roster Week One is his salary will then become guaranteed. I could see them releasing him and then resigning him Week 2 if they want a third QB. Batch has NOTHING left in the tank...it's not even a contest between Leftwich and Batch. The only thing Batch may have over Leftwich is his head for the game and Batch might be more mobile than Leftwich, but who isn't?

Batch has probably been on the Steelers roster two-years too long? He's way, way, way over the hill...

11. for someone so far over the hill he sure looked good Sunday night.

btw I'm not trying to say you're wrong you know your team better than I do. :icon_smile:

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

4 pass attempts in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. I don't hold a lot of stock in that.

He did throw a pick 6 as well...

13. good point.

That pick looked like the WR's fault to me.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm pretty sure it was...as a matter of fact. I'm pretty sure the one Dixon threw was Sanders' fault as well. He did run some crapty routes...

15. yeah. I agree with you all the way. Sanders will be great in the slot but doesn't know how to run routes to NFL caliber YET.

16. blkngldbabe

blkngldbabe Come Get Some!

The only issue with Batch is durability. He's a far better option than either of the others. He KNOW's the playbook better than both combined and is a great team guy. In fact I'd think he'd stay on board after retiring (which he clearly wants to do in a Steeler uni) Lefty is a statue and as much as his deep ball is awesome, unless he has some time to load up that awkward mechanical MLB pitchers motion to get it deep we could be in trouble. Since Ben more than likely won't count against the 53 I think the best course of action would best serve the team would be to keep all three. Use Dixon to his strengths as well as Batch. Batch can dink and dunk with the best of them.

17. Crowned

No reason to keep all 3 we can just re-sign Batch if an injury occurs, unless the Cardinals sign him.

18. blkngldbabe

blkngldbabe Come Get Some!

So you'll go with just two QB's and risk only have one if injured while Ben doesn't take up a roster spot? Brilliant.

19. Crowned

Yes because they want to keep 6 receivers and 9 linebackers. You have to sacrafice a position.

20. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

They aren't running backs. You can't just "go with who has the hot hand." A team needs a No. 1 starting quarterback annointed as the leader for however long necessary. They need to pick a QB for weeks 1-4 and get on with it.