Stanford QB Andrew Luck's Current Plan Is To Stay In School In 2011

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Peter King reported on NBC's Football Night in America on Sunday that Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck's current plan is to stay in school rather than leave for the 2011 NFL draft. King cites Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who doesn't think Luck will go pro because of his commitment to academics. Should Luck enter the draft, he'd be the consensus favorite to be selected first overall by the Carolina Panthers, who earned the No. 1 overall pick when the Denver Broncos beat the Houston Texans in a 24-23 comeback win. Ultimately, the third-year sophomore's decision may depend on his performance in the Cardinal's January 3rd Orange Bowl matchup with Virginia Tech. The Hokies have one of the most talented secondaries in college football.

Source: Pro Football Talk

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  2. I see you found the article I referenced. :icon_cheesygrin:

I can't imagine him NOT coming out. If he doesn't and I'm Gabbert I HAVE to come out.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

If he does stay he's an idiot. Go make that money, provide the lockout bullcrap isn't going to actually happen.

This kid stands to lose MULTI-MILLIONS if he comes back and gets hurt before signing that contract.

4. I did read your earlier comment, I didn't have NBC on because I didn't think their highlight show would be on since the Eagles-Vikings game won't be played until Tuesday.

If I were Luck, I would've seriously declared had Denver held the No. 1 pick. With Elway taking Luck under his wing.....there's no telling how far he would go. Carolina is an absolute mess right now.

But with Jake Locker hurting his chances of being the No. 1 pick by staying in Washington rather than turning pro last year......Luck may have to declare if he wants to earn $$$$.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  5. Mush he could always get that injury insurance some athletes get.

6. The Broncos wouldn't take a QB two years running in round 1.

7. The Broncos are reportedly fond of Luck.....and with John Elway joining their front office and him too expressing his fondness of Luck, there's no doubt where he would land if Denver had the No. 1 pick.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

it says he may be staying due to 'his commitment to academics' ........ ?

huh? if he is choosing pro football as his 'early' career during his 20's and 30's, then he needs to strike while the iron is hot ............. his stock will only go down if he stays. he's going to cost himself millions of dollars if he doesn't enter the draft right now.

if he has a 'commitment to academics', then he can finish his degree(s) during his football career, as many players do, and then go be a professor or scientist or lawyer or whatever AFTER his football career is over........

9. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

I believe them taking a QB in this years draft is completely irrelevant, as they will have a different head coach and different GM. If it was the same staff, I would say there wouldn't be much chance.

If its true that he's going back to school, its time for everyone to blow up their mock drafts and start over.

10. regardless of if they change gm and coach they would have WAY too much money invested in the qb position.

In addition, Tebow has played pretty well during his two starts and has proven he deserves an extended look next year.

11. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Good for him. Screw the NFL; it can wait. Graduate and wait another year to earn your millions. Hopefully by then there will be a RWS. Yes, I realize that works against his returning to Stanford, but does it really matter how many tens of millions of guaranteed $ you have? He doesn't seem like the type to piss it all away. Chances are, he won't blow out his knee or have a terrible season.

In regard to the Broncos, even though the '11 management won't have drafted Tebow, he's playing well enough for Denver to seriously consider him in their long-term future plans.

12. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Couldn't disagree with the above more. Your the consensus number 1 pick now. You can't improve your stock any more by staying in school and the academics can be done during or after your millions are made. Sure it's not huge odds he will have a career costing injury but there is a chance. He would be dumb to take that chance.

13. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

You make valid points. Still, I admire his 'commitment to academics.' Maybe he just doesn't want to go the Panthers. Coincidence that this news comes the day Carolina locks up the first overall pick? Who knows?

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Ehh... I admire a commitment to academics in a second day pick. In a first day pick it's moronic. As for not wanting to play for Carolina....just pull an Eli Manning.

15. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Yeah, that's what these kids are banking on. :icon_rolleyes:

16. I'm just saying if he got it maybe he wouldn't worry so much about injury.

17. Which they would be following in the footsteps of John Elway who did the same thing 27 years ago and both Eli and Elway won Super Bowls with the teams they were traded to. :icon_cool:

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I guess that means Rich Rod's gonna be at Michigan another year with Harbaugh most likely coming back to finish it out with his boy!!

But you still have to respect that it isn't all about the $$$ with Luck. As of now he's gotta be the odds on favorite to win the Heisman next year at this point. He comes back, wins a few trophies or worst case get's hurt and end's up getting drafted and playing somewhere anyway. Kind of refreshing to see someone want their degree instead of $$$.

19. Mr. D

Mr. D WINNING!!

saying the Panthers will risk a 3rd QB pick up?

they got two already, they need to get a team around them first before giving up on them

20. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

Lucks family is rich so money isnt the object with him, and unless he breaks his right leg couple and snaps some ligaments he can still go #1 next year even if he does get injured didnt Sam Bradford do the same thing..