Raiders Unlikely To Retain Coach Tom Cable In 2011?

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Tom Cable is unlikely to return as the Oakland Raiders' head coach in 2011, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Raiders finished 8-8 this season despite being undefeated in the AFC West. It was their first unblemished mark in the division since 1976, but Cable has fluctuated between starting quarterbacks and Oakland has lost four of six since a three-game winning streak put them on the cusp of the playoff picture in Week 10. Cable took over as the interim coach for Lane Kiffin midway through the 2008 season and was given the permanent job in Feb. 2009. Oakland has had five coaches since 2003.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  2. I guess a chance at .500 isn't good enough for Davis even after all those seasons losing at least 11 games a year.

3. I wonder if Harbaugh has anything to do with this?

He was a Raiders' assistant from 2002-2003.

4. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

that would suck 4 faider fans...but i dont like them anyways lol

5. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

I wonder if we can start a petition drive to have Roger Goodell force Al Davis to sell the Raiders. Probably won't happen, but it's just a thought.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Swept the division...but missed the playoffs.

7. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

QB inconsistency killed this team. Campbell finally was able to string along decent games, but overall he's been a disappointment. You can't really blame Cable for wanting to go to Gradkowski as the team reacts to him better than Campbell, but it'd be dumb for Davis to give up on him. Team's going in the right direction, all they need is just SOME consistency at QB and they're a playoff contender.

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I'd laugh if they let him go. Team looks better than it has in a long time. Couple tweaks, couple different players and you have a contender.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

So they stick by him when they lose 11 games in 2009 and seemlingly have no shot.........

But may fire him after finishing .500, and will probobly go into 2011 as legit contenders for the AFC West?

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It's the Raider way.

11. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

3 words, Raiders fukin Suck

12. Is Hue Jackson actually the real reason why Cable will likely be ousted? Does he plan on naming Jackson head coach?

And how exactly did Jackson undermine Cable with Al Davis? Just when you think you heard everything.....the Raiders pull another one over everyone's eyes.

13. Idk how true this is but this is what a Raider fan told me:

I'm a Raider fan. I know the team very well.

Davis has spent the last twelve months talking up Jackson in his few public appearances.

Cable entered '10 on a one year contract. Jackson was hired as the 'offensive coordinator' and given a two year deal.

I'm guessing people either didn't know or forgot that Cable was thisclose to getting fired after Oakland lost to San Fransisco - Hue Jackson was named not as 'a' possible replacement, but the replacement. Oakland went on a 3 game winning streak, which saved Cable from getting Kiffin'd during the bye-week.

Hue Jackson is also the most 'interviewed' Raider assistant in the 17 years I've followed the team. Usually, Raider assistants aren't allowed to speak to the media; Davis apparently changed that policy this season, and for Hue Jackson specifically.

It's all subjective, but I'd be surprised if Hue Jackson isn't given the job.

14. What I read at approximately 6 a.m. this morning on PFW......which goes in ties to the speculation that Davis may name Hue Jackson as the next Raiders HC.

Maybe Jackson already had some idea that he could be the next man up......which could explain that he reportedly undermined Cable with Davis for whatever reason.

Pro Football Weekly

15. Daddy Primetime42

Daddy Primetime42 TheNationWillRiseAgain

im going to have to call bull on this, if cable was any kind of coach we would of been in the playoffs juggleling campbell and grads was a huge mistake. Campbell proved he could be the everyday starter by winning 3 in a row and yet he gets pulled for the no talent grads that was a horrible call. The players do not respond better to grads that was a load of crap. did you watch the whole season campbell was the better QB game in and game out stats prove it. Cables downfall was not recognizing and using our best players to win, 11 carries to mcfadden against the colts is inexcusable. he seems to be an all around nice dude but head coach hes not.

16. Daddy Primetime42

whooped the chargers twice what does that make the dolts

17. Daddy Primetime42

good draft class and hue jackson were the reason for improvement not cable

18. Daddy Primetime42

winning 6 games against the afc west proves we should of beaten some of the other teams arizona,9ers, texans were winnable games and he choked we should of been in the playoffs so i would be ok with the firing and letting jackson take over