Browns Sign Pat Shurmur As Head Coach To A Four-Year, $11.2M Deal

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur's deal to coach the Browns should be worth roughly $11.2 million over four years, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Not a bad haul for a first time head coach. Shurmur ran a very conservative offense in St. Louis last season, but that's believed to be mostly the doing of head coach Steve Spagnuolo. However, the same approach will likely be called for in Cleveland in 2011 as the Browns look to develop Colt McCoy.

Source: RotoTimes

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Exactly what Ron Rivera got with the Panthers.....good deal.

He should be able to take Colt McCoy to the next level. The West Coast Offense is tailor made for him.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

What do the Browns fans here think?

4. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

They don't think. If they did they'd be fans of other teams.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I would already have more of an opinion and would have done my own research on Shurmur if it looked like the coaching search was going to be a long process worth following closely. But it was clear from the beginning that the organization wanted a quick, smooth transition so I figured I would just see where it went.

Shurmur obviously isn't the "sexy" hire that a lot of people wanted to read about today, but to me, it's a sign that the team is being run well. They didn't break the bank for anyone like that after already having two guys in charge who know what they're doing.

Pat Shurmur is being given the keys to the team during games, but control remains with Holmgren and Heckert, who will continue to strengthen the roster. Given a good squad, sure, I absolutely believe Shurmur (and a lot of other people as well, maybe even Mangini) have the tools to be a good coach. I sincerely doubt he can be anywhere close to as bad as the on-the-field, in-game combo of Mangini and Daboll.

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

We can't all be in touch with our emotions enough to post threads about how tramps make us feel inside when they won't touch us. People said they couldn't bear to read that whole thread but it made me laugh my butt off. Please think more and post about it.

7. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

A very mixed reaction from the fans. He did a fine job with Bradford this season, but he has also taken control of one of the NFL's most conservative and predictable offences that relied on the boot of Josh Brown, which ultimately caused us to lose quite a few games. I can't imagine too much excitement from Cleveland over this move.

Now we just need a new Offensive co-ordinator...sigh.

8. King Romo

King Romo Cowboys and Yankees

:Loco::Loco::rofl::rofl:

9. For the record, I haven't posted on here in god knows how long. it feels good to be back. as far as Shurmur goes, he'll probably be another failure as a Browns head coach. that team needs a massive overhaul. Holmgren should coach

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

guy has a lot of nfl coaching experience ....... i don't mind this hire

11. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

I'm happy they hired from the offensive side of the ball. I'm happy they got a guy who can supposedly develop a young quarterback. I'm ecstatic that it wasn't Gruden. I'd rather have a young good unknown coach than a name for the sake of a name. Nothing too exciting but I don't know that much about him. I'm glad they didn't drag it out, and I really hope they keep Seely. What the organization needs more than anything is stability, so hopefully this is the last of this crap for a while. Or I could make another sig for head coaches. I think this is the first time that the general manager has survived when the coach left also so that's at least a little continuity. Baby steps. Another first three rounds of the draft like last year and we'll be ready to go.