Raiders Owner Al Davis Takes Aim At Ex-Coach Tom Cable

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 18, 2011.

1. In the press conference introducing new head coach Hue Jackson, Raiders owner Al Davis took aim at former coach Tom Cable and explained why he didn't retain him for the 2011 season. "When we had the ... Randy Hansen incident, we had a turmoil in our coaching staff, Randy's jaw was broken, to this day nobody is sure how it was broken," Davis said. "We had a spouse accuse the head coach of personal relations that were not good. And at that time there were a lot of people who wanted me to take action (against the coach)." Davis said the team has faced a lawsuit from a woman with allegations that Cable mistreated her, that he had to deal with "the wrath (Cable) brought on the Raider organization" and one allegation was "too much for me", the allegation that he brought his accuser on the road and that he was "flying in friends so they could be with them the night before the game." "I just wasn't going to take it anymore," Davis said regarding the decision not to pick up an option in Cable’s contract. Davis said he started taking money every week out of Cable's pay until it was resolved what penalty the Raiders might face in court and took $20,000 a week over the last six weeks. Davis explained that he brought Cable back for this season because he thought Cable had told him everything about Hansen and the women's accusations, and that Cable would toe the line because of his past issues. When asked why he kept Cable around this season even after he learned that Cable had not been completely honest with him, Davis said he didn't want to cause turmoil at the time.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  2. After watching the press conference.....Cable's ousting seems to make some sense for the reasons Davis cited.

3. Some other excerpts from the presser:

Oakland Tribune

4. UNLEASHthaBEAST

UNLEASHthaBEAST NFLPA Warlock Assassin

Yes, the firing seemed to make more sense, but I think the added cable drama really took away from the reason for the presser, Hue Jackson's hiring.