Ex-NFL RB Herschel Walker Considering A Comeback

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Herschel Walker has already had many diverse chapters in a fascinating sports life. He was one of the greatest college football players of all time while at the University of Georgia, an NFL star, an Olympic bobsledder, and most recently, he's dabbled as a mixed martial artist, but at 48 years old, Walker is still looking to athletically challenge himself, and his latest thought is a doozy: he's considering an NFL comeback. "I know I can play," Walker said on a Monday conference call that was intended to promote his Jan. 29 Strikeforce MMA match. "If I continue to stay in the shape I'm in now, I know I can play when I'm 50. Right now, if you asked if I can play today, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind I can play football today, that I can help out a team today. "I 100 percent guarantee you I can help a football team out," Walker continued. Walker, who is 1-0 in mixed martial arts and will face Scott Carson in San Jose, Calif., said his MMA training has him in better shape than when he was in his 20s, when he was wowing crowds in the USFL and later, the NFL, and as recently February 2010, he ran a 40-yard dash in 4.38 or 4.39. "I haven't been doing my track work, but I think if I get back into my track work and the way I run, I can still run pretty well," he said. Walker is a two-time former Pro Bowler, who played for Dallas, Minnesota, Philadelphia and the New York Giants in a 12-year NFL career. The Georgia-born Walker said if he came back, he'd like to do it in Atlanta, to have the chance to play at home. "I still say I may try out for football again and show people I can do that, because I want to be the George Foreman of football and come back and do it one more time," he said.

Source: NFL Fanhouse

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  2. A Michael Turner-Herschel Walker tandem in Atlanta would be interesting to watch......

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Who does he owe money to now?

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

OMG get a real job fool...

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Most "real" jobs don't pay as well. Plus imagine endorsement deals if he were to be able to pull this off? I don't think he'd be able to do it, but just sayin'.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

WOW thats like alost impossible to imagine

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

the MMA thing works, a comeback in the nfl..... no way. who's his full back going to be? Lesner?

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

9. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

lol...he's broke

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

It's already April?

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

UFL future in the works here!

12. bambam

bambam Rookie

If he's running 4.38 and with the shape he's in right now, the only thing that would stop him would be an injury IMO. And the league is cracking down on the severity of hits, so he'd have a shot...

13. Taken a few months ago.....still looks in impressive shape.

[​IMG]

14. hermhater

hermhater Guest

He has elbow herpes.

15. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Trust me, with 48 he run the 4.38 once, maybe twice and then he slows down. Plus at this age, you need way longer to recover than the 20 year younger LB that just crushed you

16. Walker would also consider returning to the Vikings.....where he was traded by the Cowboys in that famous deal that launched Dallas' dynasty in the 90's.

ESPN

17. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

That would be crazy and cool at the same time. Blanda was about that age when he retired but he was a kicker and backup qb not a rb. I hope he gives it a shot just to see if it can be done.

18. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Than Favre would re-re-re-re-re-retire

19. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Dude is in some amazing shape. I for one hope he at least tries to make a comeback. Would be fun to watch. :beer:

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...come on Herschel...

What was Marcus Allen when he retired? 37? And he was the oldest?