49ers To Scout College Quarterbacks Intently This Offseason

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Jan 23, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

While 49ers general manager Trent Baalke will head to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, head coach Jim Harbaugh said he would remain at team headquarters and do film work on upcoming free agents. The 49ers will be scouting quarterbacks throughout the offseason. Six of them – Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Washington's Jake Locker, TCU's Andy Dalton, Florida State's Christian Ponder, Alabama's Greg McElroy and Iowa's Ricky Stanzi – will be on hand in Mobile. An unrestricted free agent after March 3, former starting quarterback Alex Smith is not expected to return to the team that drafted him No. 1 overall in 2005.

Source: Sacramento Bee

2. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

From what I see there are no decent prospects. Build everywhere else and either keep Alex for another year or sign a vet to replace him. Drafting a mid to late rounder with ability is fine, but don't bet the farm on him. I wonder if Harbaugh may pull a Jimmy Johnson and play for Luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. bambam

bambam Rookie

we need a dominate puss rush. that will make the secondary better. look at the packers.

4. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

I think we have most of the pieces for that, just haven't had the scheme; and a good secondary helps the pass rush plenty as well.

Look at TBC, looked a LOT better this year in NE didn't he?

5. bambam

bambam Rookie

That is true that both elements need eachother, but I think we're a lot closer on the pass rush side than the secondary side. Wasn't it the same scheme as last year? There were a lot more turnovers last year too. Ultimately better offensive production will help the defense more than anything especially in winning time of possession, but outside of AJ Green I don't see any offensive players worth taking at 7.